• Slutwives needs your help! Hosting costs are rising all the time, not to mention programming costs and a million other small expenses that pop up every month. PLEASE consider supporting the site! It's easy, it's cheap and it really, really helps. Click HERE or hit the support link on the left side of the page. Your support buys you all sorts of special features on the site!

auto bail out

• Thread startermuleman
  • Start date

muleman

SLUTWIVES VIP!
Beloved Member
Apr 7, 2005
What do you think of the goverment bailing out the auto industry here in the US now? Also what do you think the auto industries should do to prevent this from happening again just wondering what you all think on the issue. It sure seems like we are getting more and more controled and letting the goverment run not only the goverment but private industries kick some thoughts on this from is the UAW to strong and the wages are to high is this the issue or the over seas market in autos is killing us what is your thoughts.

i think the bailout is a a bunch of crap. I mean some buisnesses make bad decision all the time and have to go bankrupt. So why does our tax dollar have to bail them out.. Maybe they should give sell us cars and trucks for cost. I also personally don't think the Union workers need to make the money that they do either.. I mean come one $50-$60 and hours to tighten a bolt or snap a piece of plastic onto a car... thats a bunch of crap. I also think that UNIONS should be thrown out of the auto industry. I think they for the most part have sent this country into an inflation with them over paying there workers... Ya Many years ago the Union had good intentions now is just one big joke... that just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
mwf29 said:
i think the bailout is a a bunch of crap. I mean some buisnesses make bad decision all the time and have to go bankrupt. So why does our tax dollar have to bail them out.. Maybe they should give sell us cars and trucks for cost. I also personally don't think the Union workers need to make the money that they do either.. I mean come one $50-$60 and hours to tighten a bolt or snap a piece of plastic onto a car... thats a bunch of crap. I also think that UNIONS should be thrown out of the auto industry. I think they for the most part have sent this country into an inflation with them over paying there workers... Ya Many years ago the Union had good intentions now is just one big joke... that just my 2 cents.
Thank You for your post someone told me that 5 grand of the auto cost is for health ins on the union worker don't know if this is true or not. Plus I do not know what a uaw worker makes at the plants but i seen one on TV saying he made $73.00 a hour dont know what job he has for them either.They couldnt though give the cars away at cost because any industry has to make a profit to survive. Do not know how the bankrupt end would work as there are alot of other business tied into the whole scam of things.

muleman said:
Thank You for your post someone told me that 5 grand of the auto cost is for health ins on the union worker don't know if this is true or not. Plus I do not know what a uaw worker makes at the plants but i seen one on TV saying he made $73.00 a hour dont know what job he has for them either.They couldnt though give the cars away at cost because any industry has to make a profit to survive. Do not know how the bankrupt end would work as there are alot of other business tied into the whole scam of things.

ya muleman it is true. I have had a friend that used to work in the industry in michigan and he was making $65.00 hour. All he did all day was paint quarter panels... just stand there and the machine would bring them in front of him and he was jsut paint them... he was making 70-80,000 a year and getting a bunch of holiday pay. He said it was great paying job but being brought up on a Farm he couldn't take all the lazy people working there and he quit.
As for the all the companies tied to them. Someone will always come in and pick up the pieces and run it better than they did.... I mean for GOD sakes you can't even get a new SUV anymore for under $50,000. what middle income family can afford that.....

don't Be Fooled

The bail-out is not for the benefit of the auto companies. It's a payoff to the unions for their political contributions. The manufacturers would be better off going through chapter 11. That way the union contracts could be renegotiated.

Did you know that congress passed legislation in the early 70s that forbids US auto manufacturers from negotiating with any collective bargaining other than the UAW?

I've read that the average amount of benefit expense in the wholesale price of each automobile averages about $1,500.

Correction

IndyHubby said:
The bail-out is not for the benefit of the auto companies. It's a payoff to the unions for their political contributions. The manufacturers would be better off going through chapter 11. That way the union contracts could be renegotiated.

Did you know that congress passed legislation in the early 70s that forbids US auto manufacturers from negotiating with any collective bargaining other than the UAW?

I've read that the average amount of benefit expense in the wholesale price of each automobile averages about $1,500.

$1,500 for medical benefits alone

The executives with the auto companies will probably host a big bail out party like the Insurance Company AIG did. The tax payers will get the bill down the road. No New Taxes, that is a bunch of crap. The way we bailing out everyone, who is going to bail out the working man when he is taxed to death. Not those executives of these companies who have millions of dollars stashed away from their lucrative salaries, while everyone on here has to figure out ways to make ends meet. The bail outs have to stop.

A very good friend of mine is a professor of mechanical Engineering at a well known school in Virginia. Because of the situation with the auto industry, as he put it, there are many institutions that are requiring professors to go a full month without pay in order to keep their jobs because the institutions depend on the auto industry as a whole for financing research. Because of this also, they are accepting fewer grad students for the year of 2009-2010 again because of funding problems. It is bad enough that our educational system is lagging behind several developed nations but now there we will be one step further behind because of funding.
This is also to say that the auto sector influences a very far reaching circle of industries and institutions and it is very sad when i read posts from people who either don't care or think the situation is far simpler than what it really entails. Of course politics is little more than a football game... always rooting for your own side no matter what... very sad!!

Press' and politician's misrepresentations

Elizabeth T said:
The executives with the auto companies will probably host a big bail out party like the Insurance Company AIG did. The tax payers will get the bill down the road. No New Taxes, that is a bunch of crap. The way we bailing out everyone, who is going to bail out the working man when he is taxed to death. Not those executives of these companies who have millions of dollars stashed away from their lucrative salaries, while everyone on here has to figure out ways to make ends meet. The bail outs have to stop.

THE AIG party issue is another example of the press and politicians misrepresenting the facts. AIG is a large insurance company. They rely on insurance brokers for their business. These brokers deal in multimillion dollar deals and can place the business with whomever they choose.

Companys like AIG invite these brokers to meetings so they can tell their story and cultivate business. These brokers are generally pretty big operators. If it's not a pretty nice place, they won't go and AIG not only doesn't get new business, they also lose current business: business they very much need.

AIG executives are there to brief and sell. It's work: stressful work. If we want them to pay back the loan, we need to let them do their jobs.

Don't take this to mean that I agree with the bailout of the UAW. (It's not being done for the manufacturer.) It's just that the AIG thing has been misrepresented to the public.

blkoralslaveboy said:
A very good friend of mine is a professor of mechanical Engineering at a well known school in Virginia. Because of the situation with the auto industry, as he put it, there are many institutions that are requiring professors to go a full month without pay in order to keep their jobs because the institutions depend on the auto industry as a whole for financing research. Because of this also, they are accepting fewer grad students for the year of 2009-2010 again because of funding problems. It is bad enough that our educational system is lagging behind several developed nations but now there we will be one step further behind because of funding.
This is also to say that the auto sector influences a very far reaching circle of industries and institutions and it is very sad when i read posts from people who either don't care or think the situation is far simpler than what it really entails. Of course politics is little more than a football game... always rooting for your own side no matter what... very sad!!
I don't know if it is the people as you say rooting for their own side or maybe the middle class and poor are tired and sick and feel left out because it my seem like the only ones gaining from all these bailouts are the rich. I live in Iowa and the Board od Regents this week said that our three state universities have to cut 17 million from there budgets as the State has cut a bunch. So therefore should the goverment begin bailing out the education in all the states or big business and banks and Insurance companies. I will agree it affects us all in one way or another.

Yes it should. This is precisely what the government should do if a "bail out" is what it takes to avoid a catastrophe. We have bailed out entire nations in the name of good will and democracy yet when it comes to our own nation we are very quick to only cast judgment. Instead of saying what we shouldn't do I am siding with the response that shows one possible, workable course of action that might lead us out of the quicksand we've stepped in.

Your side holds the banner of inaction. Let the market do it's thing even if it means a downward spiral. Can you give me reasonable end result scenarios based on doing very little to combat the economic decline? Please tell me what our country will be like if unemployment reaches the teens in percentage and possibly 20% as a worst case scenario?

I agree that the funds have not been managed correctly and that a heavier level of management needs to be established. The truth is people in the financial sector, as in many other sectors where big money is involved, have for a long time been rewarding greed and corruption and this is nothing new. It is almost a shadow business model or a pyramid scheme where the pyramid constantly expands somehow while the bottom is consumed by the top. in the end the love of money is still the root of all evil.

muleman said:
I don't know if it is the people as you say rooting for their own side or maybe the middle class and poor are tired and sick and feel left out because it my seem like the only ones gaining from all these bailouts are the rich. I live in Iowa and the Board od Regents this week said that our three state universities have to cut 17 million from there budgets as the State has cut a bunch. So therefore should the goverment begin bailing out the education in all the states or big business and banks and Insurance companies. I will agree it affects us all in one way or another.

Here's some facts for you -

Workers at American car companies make around $45 an hour, add in benefits and it comes to about $55 an hour.
Add in benefits being paid to retirees, not current workers, and the figure becomes $73 an hour. This is where the fiction that workers make $70 an hour comes from. Since it's what the auto companies represent as their labor costs for CNN and FOX and congressional committees.

By comparison, workers at foreign auto plants in the US with benefits make about $48 an hour. Really not much difference.

Of course, the foreign companies don't have nearly as many retirees to pay since they've been making cars here for a fraction of the time of US companies. So the overall labor cost for US car companies is much higher than foreign companies.

Regardless of that, US cars are cheaper than non-US. The difference for most US cars is about is between $500 to $2500 less than foreign. The problem is that Americans don't want to buy US cars, no matter what the price. This is not because of labor, this is because of image, quality and just making cars Americans don't want.
These are management problems , not labor problems. Blaming the unions an labor is a great diversion from the real issue.

If you believe that people buy a Lexus or BMW instead of a Caddy or Lincoln, or an Accord instead of a Focus or a Chevy because of price, not only haven't you not looked at car prices, but you're probably waiting for Santa to come down your chimney next week.

As for the bailout itself, we've handed out $800 billion to the financial markets and probably saved a handful of jobs, haven't helped anyone that is in danger of foreclosure and we put no strings on the money.
Yet giving the auto companies $15 billion, a drop in the bucket by comparison, has the potential to save millions of jobs and we treat it as if it's the end of the world.

And we essentially GAVE $800 billion to the financial markets but are LENDING the money to the auto companies.

When the conversation about bailing out US companies becomes an attack on labor, not on the management that makes their cars unattractive to consumers; when the focus of our scrutiny falls on the details of a $15 billion dollar loan instead of the $800 billion (and rising) gift to the financial institutions that got us in this mess; it actually makes me sad to think we're that easily misled as a people.

US car companies need to shrink in size to reflect their market share, just like any other companies in any industry would. Their products don't sell because of quality and image, not because of price. We just can't afford to lose the jobs in this recession. We can't produce enough new jobs outside of the auto industry, nevertheless if they start collapsing. It's a cheap temporary fix that would cost us a lot more if we don't do it.

IndyHubby said:

So why are the companies traveling to Capitol hill every other day begging for money then? Are they to stupid to realize this? If they thought renegotiating their union contracts was the answer, why don't they want to file Chapter 11?
I'll tell you why, because it's NOT the answer. It won't rid them of their highest labor cost, their retirees. And because no one wants their cars at any price. And because cars, US and foreign, arent' selling because of credit markets and unemployment. NOT because of labor costs or price.

IndyHubby said:

No, I didn't,lol. Just what law is this? Sounds like fiction to me.

IndyHubby said:
$1,500 for medical benefits alone

Probably true.

However, who do you think pays the medical benefits for imported foreign cars? Their governments, that's who. One way or another someone is paying for their medical benefits, they just get the luxury of not having it included in the price of their cars. In essence it's a government subsidy of their industries that makes their products cheaper to export.

Auto works in Canada make approx $33 an hour . think your little high on the u.s wage RO

stacy-swf said:
Auto works in Canada make approx $33 an hour . think your little high on the u.s wage RO

It's actually 40 an hour, 55 with benefits, I typoed. That's according to the auto industry itself. Guess it's a bit lower in Canada.

I think that rate may be for skilled trade. not line worker. But may be may be wrong. hear all diff stories

Hourly wages for UAW workers at GM factories are about equal to those paid by Toyota Motor Corp. at its older U.S. factories, according to the companies. GM says the average UAW laborer makes $29.78 per hour, while Toyota says it pays about $30 per hour. But the unionized factories have far higher benefit costs.

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69, including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers.

Muleman think you are right ,thats close to what i have read.Think U.s and Canadian make same hourly rate once you but in exchange rate

I think its about time the govt did something to help industry in this country.We've sold everything else off for a quick profit and look where its got us.We dont build anything,we dont produce anything,soon if the govt has their way we wont even grow our own food.But thats ok we'll just buy it from somewhere else.If you want to point a finger better look at the UAW and the the wages their members get for the work they do.
Most of this finacial crisis came from the financial world who works on quick profit.Land developement and home building were big business so thats what we did.Millions of acres of farmland have been destroyed in the name of profits and progress.Unfortunately we were building homes at 7 times the rate of population growth.Do the math!