• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Computer Help Please

• Thread starterCouple09
  • Start date

Couple09

Not quite a lurker
Beloved Member
Oct 21, 2008
Kids and grandkids are going to visit. We have Window Washer installed. Is there something better to clean a computer so they cannot see what sites we visit and what we do?
Also, how do we keep the grandkids - pretty computer savvy little guys - from getting to xxx sites? If we ramp up the settings on Webroot and Windows security will that do it or do we need to install a filter program?
Thanks for your help.
MrsCouple

I use a separate browser for my...uh...entertainment. If you use IE explorer, install firefox or opera, or google chrome on your pc and have the kids use that browser. If you want to limit their browsing ability there are a number of free programs on the internet. I also believe that children shouldn't be online without supervision so you can keep an eye on them too. Make sure all of your downloads are cleaned up, purge your browsing history etc.

Or, If you have the financial means, buy a small netbook or laptop for them to use when they come to visit.

I'm expecting my first very soon and have thought about this recently. Good luck.

Bullet Proof

Download CCleaner off the internet. It is free and you can update it for free. If you access the net with a program with a pass word do not let them use that program and use another like google or foxfire or any other free program.

You could try downloading mojopac. Once you have it setup you just click to run it and anyone visiting will be using a 'fresh install' of windows with no access to your files or surf history. Once they leave you just close out mojopac and you have access to your computer at is was before. You can even install it on a flash drive and just plug it in when they come over.

Outside of that I will agree with the previous posters about a separate browser and ccleaner.

Create a guest user for your computer. That way you keep your stuff protected by a password and they can surf all they want as a guest user without seeing your stuff. But you must be around while they are around. Parents biggest mistake is allowing kids on the net in their own rooms and such. Allow them only in the living room to surf the net. Heck my PC at home uses my 55" Tv as a monitor in the living room, I can watch everything they surf. I have a laptop they cannot touch which I use now.

Users who are viewing this thread