Is It A Cuckolding Moment?

• Thread starterNazareth
  • Start date

Nazareth

Slut Lover!
Beloved Member
Nov 16, 2011
Southern US
TCM showed A Clockwork Orange last night, and I'd like some opinions on a particular scene, please.

After Alex is released from prison, he returns home to his parent's house. Of course, he takes notice of this young man sitting on the couch next to Mom.
I happen to think this is a scene that depicts cuckolding. As mentioned, Mom is dressed cheekily, if not chicly, sitting on the couch next to this young man, and Dad is sitting in a side chair. His Dad is generally portrayed as meek, and wants to avoid any confrontations. It appears this is quite normal for the 3 of them, and they make no effort to 'hide' their behavior from Alex, making me think perhaps they wanted him to know they were living in this arrangement.
Any info I can find searching on the net about this movie doesn't mention anything specifically regarding this scene. I may be trying to read too much into it, but I would appreciate some other opinions.

Nazareth said:
TCM showed A Clockwork Orange last night, and I'd like some opinions on a particular scene, please. .......... Any info I can find searching on the net about this movie doesn't mention anything specifically regarding this scene. I may be trying to read too much into it, but I would appreciate some other opinions.
One of the advantages of watching a movie is, the scenes can have whatever meaning you assign to them. Thus, your assessment of the "meaning" of the scene you described is just as valid as anyone else's.

Just had a quick look at that scene (picked-up the DVD some time ago when it was on sale)

"Joe the lodger" definitely behaves as more than just a lodger telling Alex what terrible son he's been. He puts his arm around Alex's mum's shoulder to comfort her a couple of times.

While it's true that Joe and Alex's parents seem very at ease with the physical contact whether this is a cuckold relationship or just one where Joe is just a dominant person has taken the opportunity to move into the void left by Alex (while he's in Prison) is, as Custer says, up to your interpretation of the film.

Enigma632 said:
Just had a quick look at that scene (picked-up the DVD some time ago when it was on sale)

"Joe the lodger" definitely behaves as more than just a lodger telling Alex what terrible son he's been. He puts his arm around Alex's mum's shoulder to comfort her a couple of times.

While it's true that Joe and Alex's parents seem very at ease with the physical contact whether this is a cuckold relationship or just one where Joe is just a dominant person has taken the opportunity to move into the void left by Alex (while he's in Prison) is, as Custer says, up to your interpretation of the film.

Bear in mind that Clockwork Orange is 45 years old. How people touch each other has changed quite a bit in that time.

Reactions: Enigma632
airhorn said:
Bear in mind that Clockwork Orange is 45 years old. How people touch each other has changed quite a bit in that time.
Really! How so?

airhorn said:

True, 45 years ago "political correctness" hadn't been heard of and certainly in Britain (where Clockwork Orange was set & filmed) it was pretty normal for a bloke to put his arm around a woman to comfort her if she was distressed without fear that he'd be accused of trying to cop a feel (even if he was).

Also having now re-watched the end of the film Joe the Lodger doesn't make any further appearance and isn't even mentioned again