• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Is Tourism in Africa Dead 2020 review

• Thread starterEddyBBC
  • Start date

EddyBBC

Not quite a lurker
M.V.P!
Beloved Member
Feb 19, 2020
Hello. I guess the title explains this in regards to the covid 19 pandemic and the decline in air travel to Africa.
What do you guys think? Will it come back or this is the end?

I'm from Kenya and a lot of people are feeling the effects of No-Tourism.
Many hotels and coastal towns are closed if not dead already.

Let me know your views.
Thanks.

I think that once one or more vaccines become available and/or we actually achieve what they are calling "herd immunity", then tourism will return. We have to get to the point where people take the risk of contracting just like some other infectious disease like the flu or a cold.

Two trepidations.

One, it is not at all clear to me that vaccines and immunities will suffice. There is some indication of reinfection, perhaps by different strains, perhaps not. We really need need better information on that. Perhaps we can get that once we get past the focus on producing a vaccine.

Two, totalitarian and dictatorial political leaders might keep everyone locked down so long that the tourism industry just closes down almost completely. Here in the US, we are already losing a LOT of our restaurants, for example. It might take years to rebuild all that if they kill it off thoroughly enough.

Reactions: EddyBBC
FiBBW said:
I'll be back but not until it settles abit mid late 2021
xx
Glad to hear that Fi.
Looking forward to it too xx

Reactions: crt
Archie457 said:
I think that once one or more vaccines become available and/or we actually achieve what they are calling "herd immunity", then tourism will return. We have to get to the point where people take the risk of contracting just like some other infectious disease like the flu or a cold.

Two trepidations.

One, it is not at all clear to me that vaccines and immunities will suffice. There is some indication of reinfection, perhaps by different strains, perhaps not. We really need need better information on that. Perhaps we can get that once we get past the focus on producing a vaccine.

Two, totalitarian and dictatorial political leaders might keep everyone locked down so long that the tourism industry just closes down almost completely. Here in the US, we are already losing a LOT of our restaurants, for example. It might take years to rebuild all that if they kill it off thoroughly enough.
Both choices suck. It's bad enough in the US and European nations. It's worse in African countries. But I hope all will be well

Users who are viewing this thread