St.Louis Alderman calls on residents to get armed

• Thread startermissouri_hubby
  • Start date

missouri_hubby

Not quite a lurker
Beloved Member
Sep 29, 2007
This piece ran in our local newspaper yesterday. I thought it was interesting, and decided to post it in light of a response I got in an earlier thread from a member in St Louis. She was wondering if I lived near her, apparently afraid a gun-toting, law-abiding citizen might be somewhere in the community. Well I don't carry a gun and don't live anywhere nearby, but if a certain city official has his way, she may be surrounded by people packing heat! Maybe she should move out of that safe city into the country with us rednecks, where the only thing we hunt with our AK47's is rabbit and deer.

St. Louis alderman calls on residents to get armed

ST. LOUIS (AP) - A St. Louis alderman who says he is frustrated with police response to crime in his neighborhood is calling on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said Tuesday he is telling his north St. Louis constituents to aquire guns and learn how to use them.

He said that "God-fearing, law-abiding citizens and homeowners" are being preyed upon by criminals, and that police are ineffective, outnumbered, or don't care.

Troupe, 72, and a former state representative, said many people don't realize they have a constitutional right to bear arms which they can use to fend off an intruder. He supports Missouri's "conceal and carry" weapons law and is recruiting residents to take the required weapons safety course. Troupe said the wrong people own guns.

"We bought the homes, we're paying the taxes and the police and the emergency personnel's salaries," he said. "Why in the hell can't we get relief from criminals? Why do they have all the power, and we don't and we're paying the damn bills?"

He said people are being killed on the impoverished north side, and homes are being broken into and dismantled by scavengers who steal gutters and downspouts,and that school dropouts are robbing people and stealing purses.

Troupe said when he and residents approached the district police commander last year, he said "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community... that he didn't have the manpower, he couldn't do it."

St Louis Police Chief Dan Isom wrote Tuesday in a department blog that guns are not the solution to the city's challenging homicide problem. Citizens arming themselves will lead to more danger, not less, he said.

Neighborhood watch groups, and the hard work of helping to eradicate poverty and other social ills are better crime prevention tools, he said.

So far this year, St. Louis has had 157 homicides, 33 more than last year at this time.

"My position is simply the police are overtaxed, they are a reactionary force and we need a proactive solution to the problems of our community and our children," Troupe said.

"We haven't addressed children on the front end; now we've got problems on the back end."

University of Missouri - St. Louis criminoligist Richard Rosenfeld, who is a visiting professor this fall at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said Troupe's idea is an understandable response to the spike in homicide in the city, but it's not likely to be effective.

More guns, he said, only compound crime problems in communities already awash with guns.

"Much of the problem is free and easy access to guns," Rosenfeld said. "This hope that by putting guns in the right hands will have an influence on criminals is a false hope. There's no evidence for that."

Mayor Francis Slay wrote in his blog Tuesday that some of the most violent crime in Troupe's First Ward are committed with guns stolen from law-abiding citizens.

he said Troupe could do more good urging constituents to cooperate with investigating police officers, lending support for activites for children, and lobbying legislators to increase funding for jobs training and economic development.

Fellow Alderman Lynda Krewson called Troupe's idea a "whacky and ineffective response."

"Most of us are not really equipped to handle the seriousness and responsibility of walking around with a gun," she said. "The end result is more guns on the street."

Krewson, whose husband was shot and killed in front of their home in the tony Central West End neighborhood in 1995, said she doesn't mean to diminish the problem of crime.

She said having a gun "would not have changed the outcome of the evening. I personally don't think guns are the answer to this."

The Rev. F. James Clark of Shalom Church in suburban Florissant, who organized an anti-crime march this summer that drew tens of thousands to the streets of St. Louis, said it doesn't make sense to "join up with what you've been fighting."

He said it sounds like Troupe "is frustrated, looking for an answer, just like the rest of us."

No comment.

OBammy and company will soon declare the 2nd Amendment null and void.

I live in a rural farm community north of St. Louis and applaud the Aldermans guts for making that statement. The Mayor of St. Louis is a wimp and has instituted a gun buy back program using tax payers money. Hubby is thinking about buying as many $50 junkers as he can and selling them to St. Louis for the $100 they offer.. Im sure all criminals willl sell their guns..sureeeeeee. A armed society is a polite society.

I'm the one who responded, MO Hubby and you didn't understand what I was asking. I wasn't worried that you lived near me, whether you own a gun or not...I was simply asking did you live in a major city or in a rural area of the state? Many of our neighbors own guns, we know this but it doesn't concern us because we know them and as a result we know that they're law-abiding citizens. My point was that we do live in the city and don't feel unsafe by not having a gun; while many people in rural areas, where crime is lower, act like their lives will be in immediate danger if they can't have a gun in their homes. I honestly don't care where you live, and my statement was to that effect. You admitted to enjoy "stirring the pot" or something by your statements, so it's pretty clear that you misinterpreted them purposely just to keep your little tirade going. You want a gun, no problem. But you accused all the "big-city liberals" of wishing they had guns should Obama lose and riots resulted. I wouldn't want a gun under any circumstances, they cause more problems than they solve IMHO. You have a right to your opinion too, but don't put words in my mouth.

Laine said:
I'm the one who responded, MO Hubby and you didn't understand what I was asking.

My apologies for misunderstanding and/or misrepresenting your post. It really isn't my intention to "stir the pot" at this time.

It's our right!!!

Anyone, I mean anyone who wants to take away our 2nd admendment right to defend ourselves...scares the shit out of me. The NRA reported that in Austraila, they took away the citizens' guns and police were finding whole families murdered in their homes. You see criminals don't register their guns, so the goverment does not know who has them. But law abiding citizens do register their weapons so it makes easy for the goverment to take them. The criminals in Austraila knew this and they just waited for several months to start their killing spree. Alot of the families found murdered in their homes, use to own hand guns which is the real tragedy. It's sad when a goverment wont even let you defend yourself or your family and property. I hope this never happens here.

Susan said:
I live in a rural farm community north of St. Louis and applaud the Aldermans guts for making that statement. The Mayor of St. Louis is a wimp and has instituted a gun buy back program using tax payers money. Hubby is thinking about buying as many $50 junkers as he can and selling them to St. Louis for the $100 they offer.. Im sure all criminals willl sell their guns..sureeeeeee. A armed society is a polite society.

The best thing to do is to walk up and down the line and ask people if you can see what they are turning in. if it is a very nice gun worth more than $100.00 offer them cash on the spot. you will surprised how many people leave those buy backs with thousands of dollars worth of good guns owned by people who have no idea what they're worth.

missouri_hubby said:
My apologies for misunderstanding and/or misrepresenting your post. It really isn't my intention to "stir the pot" at this time.

Hey, no harm no foul...all's good. :)

Guns are alright to own in St Louis or any other city as I own and carry one myself. What is the issue with all the gun ownership is the fucking morons that own them and use them for reason not related to the sport of a gun such as hunting or target shooting or as a investment. A gun in some people hands is very dangerous as they use them for all kind of crimes and not for sport but isnt it sad that we are going back to a society where people have to arm themselves for protection do I think they ought to ban guns no as it wouldnt make any diff anyway as they would still get them if they wanted them for a crime or to murder with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching cnn this morning and saw the alderman discussing this issue. he says that the city of st loius was given $ to hire 130 more new officers to patrol the streets & they only hires 23 and disposed of the rest of the $ to their own liking. he also says when a citizen of the city dials 911 they get an automated message. so, coupled with the nearly 160 murders this year, this is a serious issue.
I have lived almost 27 years without a gun. I never had a desire to own one because when I was younger and had access to them I fugured I would think irrationally and do something stoopid to ruin my life, or the life or lives of others. plus, I believe in the Good Law'd and had the faith that He would be a fence of protection around me. earlier this year, on june 9th, I was ambushed, jumped, shot at 5 times, and hit in the head with pistols several times by some so called blood gangsters only two blocks away from my home. after this incident I went and purchased a firearm. I also applied for and was approved to carry my weapon concealed. now, I take my strap everywhere, from walmart to the church house, I don't give a fuck, I keep it on my person at all times. I promised myself that I would never get caught without my heat in the streets ever again. some members of my family disagree with me, but I righteously feel traumatized and desensitized to gun violence. I think the aldermans comments may seem radical in the eyes of some, but it is definitely a legal way to insure your safety, or at least give you something to help protect your property, family, and self with. think about it, do you bring a spoon to a sword fight?! absolutely not, so you gotta fight fire with fire. I wish whoever would try to take away my 2nd amendment right, I can guarantee it would be over my dead body!

The new administration, no matter how hard they try, will never take away guns from the American public. There would be a total riot if they actually passed a law telling citizens to turn in their weapons. Further, probably less than 20% would do so, regardless. Remember folks, a country with guns has citizens. A country with gun bans has "subjects". Look at Britain and Australia... Look what the Nazis did when they invaded Holland. They went to the local courthouse where all guns were registered. They went to every name in the book as demanded the guns listed under that person/family's name. If they did not have the gun, they were imprisoned or shot. Even if the father had given a gun (under his name) to his son as a wedding gift for example, the Nazis usually shot the father in front of the family or carried him off to a labor camp(unless the gun was produced quickly).

Don't let history repeat itself in the US. Damn good thing TX is a "right to carry" state. :eek:)

Just for the record. While the founding fathers did value the sanctity of the home and the ability if homeowners to protect it, that is not why they enacted the second amendment. They also needed to eat, many did hunt, yet that is not why they enacted the second amendment. They cared nothing about the "sport" of hunting Bambi and Thumper.

Our founding fathers did not trust government. They had just fought a bloody war to oust a tyrant, and knew we might one day have to do it again. We have a second amendment to insure that an armed populace would have the ability to rise up against the government and overthrow it, should the need arise. Totalitarian governments understand this, and that is why disarming the populace is always their first priority.

CentralTXCPL said:
Don't let history repeat itself in the US. Damn good thing TX is a "right to carry" state. :eek:)

I'm not concerned about an Obama administration trying to take our guns away. I didn't support him during the election but I'm now seeing he's moving quickly to the center, which is what we all really wanted anyway. In fact I'll go so far as to say that if he does in fact remain a centrist, he'll be a much better president than McCain ever would have been. Their policies weren't that much different to start with, and now we don't have to worry about a president developing Alzheimer's or killing over dead of old age.

As I live in Iowa it is in the midwest mosly a agriculture State except for John Deere tractor works and Rockwell Collins who does military contracts when this election was going on what I heard here in this rural State was two issues the first was he will take my guns away from us and the other is we dont want a tax increase but the big issue here was the first amendment to me with all the lack of education and the issues within our economy I quite frankly dont care if I own and carry a concealed weapon or not we have the right to bear arms against who our neighbors or friends if we wish not to see them maybe we ought to have the teachers of our great country have a assult rifle in the corner of the class room or the church have one up front for the preacher man if you fall asleep through his boring sermon hey lets just all carry a gun so if we get into a scrap with someone on our property we can yell first amendment do you really think when the first amendment was written that they were thinking of 200 years down the road or just the friendly indian trying to scalp their ass or the Brits and other Countries comming ashore to overrun the country. Really honestly if I hear the first amendment tossed out of some damn deer hunter here that goes on my ground when he trespass on my property maybe I will shoot him and yell first amendment in the court room.

First of all if guns are so bad why do cops carry them? O yea cuz they have to go after criminals. But who do criminals go after? Uh huh. That is what i thought.

I am goddam tired of these goddam liberals who say we can be trusted to vote for our elected officials but cannot be trusted to use a gun. These are the same goddam assholes who say that there is nothing wrong with abortion and then turn around and say that hunting animals...which are not human and never will be... is murder. They say cops are racist and fascist and cannot be trusted and have been complaining for years that cops do not take crimes against women and minorities and gays seriously and then turn around and say that you do not need a gun because the cops are there to protect you. That idiot Michael Dukakis said the same thing.

People like this are goddam idiots and liars. Everybody has heard the saying there is never a cop around when you really need one but liberals will not listen.

Telling us we should not own guns is the same thing as treating us like idiots or criminals and i do not trust or respect anyone who treats me like that.