UN Slams 'Racist' Australian Immigration Policy

• Thread starterWifeLuver
  • Start date

WifeLuver

Slut Lover!
Beloved Member
Dec 13, 2006
The United Nations' top human rights watchdog has attacked Australia's tough refugee policies and the treatment of outback Aborigines, saying there was a strong undercurrent of racism in the country.

According to UN Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay, long-standing policies of locking up asylum seekers had 'cast a shadow over Australia's human rights record', and appeared to be completely arbitrary. 'I come from South Africa and lived under this, and am every way attuned to seeing racial discrimination,' she said.

The 69-year-old is a former anti-apartheid campaigner and international criminal court judge, and she was speaking to reporters at the end of a six-day visit. 'There is a racial discriminatory element here which I see as rather inhumane treatment of people, judged by their differences, racial, colour or religions,' she said...

'Racist' Australia compared to Apartheid South Africa by UN Human Rights commissioner

From 1901 to 1973 the White Australia policy restricted 'non-white' immigration into the country.

Australia does have a race relations problem. It doesn't get the same pub as Europe or South Africa or even teh US, but it's there and just as rampant.

itainteasy said:
Australia does have a race relations problem. It doesn't get the same pub as Europe or South Africa or even teh US, but it's there and just as rampant.

And what would be the race relations problems you speak of exactly?

Racist attacks on Asians (documented), popular politicians raging against immigration (Pauline Hanson among others), and of course, attitudes towards the indiginous population. Australia does have laws against racism/discrimination, but that doesn't mean people observe it. according to the Human rights commision, 1 in 5 Australians have experienced racism last year.

itainteasy said:
Racist attacks on Asians (documented), popular politicians raging against immigration (Pauline Hanson among others), and of course, attitudes towards the indiginous population. Australia does have laws against racism/discrimination, but that doesn't mean people observe it. according to the Human rights commision, 1 in 5 Australians have experienced racism last year.

You mention racist attacks on Asians like its common. It certainly isnt. Perhaps im getting forgetful in my middle age but im not able to recall many, if any actual documented racist attacks. Just because an asian is attacked, it doesnt mean its race motivated.
Pauline Hanson was never popular, What other politicians were/are "raging" against immigration?
Which "attitudes towards the indigenous population" are you referring to? the free health care? free education? free housing? higher welfare payments than other Australians for the sole reason of being indigenous? the low interest loans? (not available to any other Australians) I could go on but the point is, Australia's indigenous people have as much opportunity to advance themselves as any other Australian, and you know what? those that try, do succeed, i have personally known many.
1 in 5 Australians have experienced racism....., i think we need a new definition of this word. Growing up i was called a white cunt many times by fellow Australians of darker complexion. Is that racism? apparently so and i would suspect many respondents to that survey had been called something similar regarding their own complexions.

Good for Australia. Harsh Immigration polices are to be lauded.