• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Thread about Sports

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
LSU....I think (it will be a "home" game for them). Georgia did not even win their conference division. SC could make a case

Pimp, with OSU included, you listed 7 teams. This year screams for an 8 team playoff. That would be great, but it makes too much sense.

Yeah, God forbid a national champion was actually crowned ON the field. What a novel idea!!!

I guess as it is it should be the Buckeyes and.......um......well...........uhhhh......

Hell, I dunno...

im glad it is what it is..a joke...OSU..definitely the best team in a very weak league who's best win was what..I guess Penn State and/or Michigan...They are good def not great...deserving...well very debatable....now all the politicing goes on...Les Miles...what a crock of shit with his press conference before the game...He is going to Michigan count on that..."we are the only unbeaten team in regulation"..lmao...frankly that is actually worth something, but LSU has not been overwhelming all year, but give them the schedule they have played and they are far better choice than OSU...Oklahoma who has beaten...the last #1 team 2x...is just as deserving., although its not like they have played a killer schedule either, the Big 12 sucks this year too..and Georgia had a great year and is playing great now, but they didnt win there conference as LSU did so it doesnt make sense for them... USC..ranked preseasen at top..is playing its best now and can probably beat anybody now, but they dont have any more of argument then anybody else....If Hawaii didnt look so pathetic yesterday ..they were down 21-0 at home to Washington (yea the only other "decent' team on road OSU played) i would say put them in although they arent deserving...Kansas...no way....overrated all year havent beaten anybody ranked all season.....a playoff makes so much sense we talk bout this every year..its just rediculous and has made me lose some interest in college game...
if it is lsu...well if the distraction of losing there D cooridinator and head coach doesnt screw them up...they have a friggin home game..which should equal that out...there speed and better competition..and OSU being off for 50 days..well we saw what happened last year to them by an SEC school.. granted..LSU isnt anything as good as last years FL team, but then again OSU is not anything like there last years team either...LSU will take them but they dont blow anybody out.

who out there watches any or all of the 30 bowl games...even the big ones? Lets start up the Dark Cavern.com Bowl....get Grambling to play some white school....LMAO...

and pimp whats big deal with Joe P keeping his salary silent all this time...hell the guy is fool he has left millions and millions on the table.....if he didnt want it .he could have donated it to charity....or he could have supplemented the Dark Cavern Bowl...PSU in those all white uniforms against a black team...lol I digress on Sunday morning havent had my cofee yet.

You can never call a two loss team more deserving that a one loss team. LSU doesn't concern me like Florida did last year. Kentucky hasn't got any more speed than the buckeyes (especially defensively) and they beat LSU. The Bengals better prepare for a steady dose of Beanie Wells as the Buckeyes learned their lesson from last years game. If you can't run with a team line up and run it down their throats with your superior size and muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:
GO OHIO STATE !!!!!! The #1 team in the nation. OSU's cb's and db's are much faster than last year, and the lines are stronger too. I think any team that plays them, it will be a good game!!!!!

Plus OSU will have the added motivation of what happened in last years game and the fact that for 6 weeks EVERY know-it-all will be telling them how they do not deserved to be in the game. That crap has been going on since they beat Mich. OSU will have plenty of bulleting board material. I also hope it is LSU they play (even though it is a home game for LSU). I was not impressed with their performance against Tenn yesterday. Please let Les Miles go to Mich.....he is very over-rated

In my own way of honoring Sean Taylor today, as well as noting the insignificance of sport, I purposely did not watch a single down of football. Instead I watched PBS all afternoon and was glad I did. First I saw a David Broza concert in Masada, Israel on the edge of the Dead Sea that also featured Jackson Browne and Shawn Colvin.

The show, called the “Sunrise Concert,” began at 3 in the morning and it was something to see the vistas of that beautiful sight break across the sky at sunrise against such a breathtaking backdrop. After that it was the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert, “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve” and it too was a delight for the senses, both audibly and visually.

Though decidedly different shows they were both amazing and I am glad I ******* myself to the depth and meaning of both as they did my heart and soul a world of good. The frivolity of sport needs tempered at times with the substance and profound meaning of deeper and more meaningful life matters and the depth provided by this music and art touched me in a way I hadn’t been moved in a long, long time.

The national championship game, the NFL playoffs, the NCAA basketball season starting in earnest….none of it means dick to me in the aftermath of Taylor’s murder. Maybe sports will never mean as much to me as they once did following this tragedy but I’m ok with that. So many, many things in life are much more important.

I do understand the Skins lost another heartbreaker, on the last play of the game and perhaps maybe, such another gut-wrenching loss in a heartbreaking, lost season, is apropos. Maybe the team will come back next season more mature with a deeper appreciation for the privilege they have to play a professional sport for a living and dedicate themselves in a way that they haven’t before. That would be a good thing for the Redskin’s team as many players on it need to grow up and mature…..quickly.

I did however watch the BCS selection show and there really weren't any surprises. There are also some very notable bowl games this year. Obviously it begins with Ohio State against LSU. I think the Buckeyes match up very well with the Tigers. A huge factor in LSU's favor though is the game being in New Orleans. I also think last years loss to Florida is going to be a huge motivational factor for Ohio State.

Other notable bowl games:

West Virginia vs Oklahoma (I think this could be the best of the bunch)

Hawaii vs Georgia (Only Hawaii's 2nd ever trip to the mainland-going to be a better game than people think)

Penn State vs Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl (Paterno has the most bowl wins in history but playing a Texas team in Texas; how motivated will the Aggies be given Francione's resignation?)

Kentucky vs Florida State in the Music City Bowl (pulling for the Cats to pull off the upset and with Woodson and his receivers they just might do it)

Michigan vs Florida in the Capital One bowl (Can the Wolverines, in Lloyd Carr's final game, stop Tebow & the Gators?)

Auburn vs Clemson in the Chik-fil_A bowl (great match-up between underrated teams)

Missouri vs Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl (Can the Tigers recover from their disappointing loss to the Sooners? Daniels vs McFadden--potential Heismann showdown?)

Arizona State vs Texas in the Holiday Bowl (Erickson against Brown in national championship winning coaches battle)

I also honored Sean Taylor, too

pimpology101 said:
In my own way of honoring Sean Taylor today, as well as noting the insignificance of sport, I purposely did not watch a single down of football. Instead I watched PBS all afternoon and was glad I did. First I saw a David Broza concert in Masada, Israel on the edge of the Dead Sea that also featured Jackson Browne and Shawn Colvin.

The show, called the “Sunrise Concert,” began at 3 in the morning and it was something to see the vistas of that beautiful sight break across the sky at sunrise against such a breathtaking backdrop. After that it was the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert, “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve” and it too was a delight for the senses, both audibly and visually.

Though decidedly different shows they were both amazing and I am glad I ******* myself to the depth and meaning of both as they did my heart and soul a world of good. The frivolity of sport needs tempered at times with the substance and profound meaning of deeper and more meaningful life matters and the depth provided by this music and art touched me in a way I hadn’t been moved in a long, long time.

The national championship game, the NFL playoffs, the NCAA basketball season starting in earnest….none of it means dick to me in the aftermath of Taylor’s murder. Maybe sports will never mean as much to me as they once did following this tragedy but I’m ok with that. So many, many things in life are much more important.

I do understand the Skins lost another heartbreaker, on the last play of the game and perhaps maybe, such another gut-wrenching loss in a heartbreaking, lost season, is apropos. Maybe the team will come back next season more mature with a deeper appreciation for the privilege they have to play a professional sport for a living and dedicate themselves in a way that they haven’t before. That would be a good thing for the Redskin’s team as many players on it need to grow up and mature…..quickly.

I did however watch the BCS selection show and there really weren't any surprises. There are also some very notable bowl games this year. Obviously it begins with Ohio State against LSU. I think the Buckeyes match up very well with the Tigers. A huge factor in LSU's favor though is the game being in New Orleans. I also think last years loss to Florida is going to be a huge motivational factor for Ohio State.

Other notable bowl games:

West Virginia vs Oklahoma (I think this could be the best of the bunch)

Hawaii vs Georgia (Only Hawaii's 2nd ever trip to the mainland-going to be a better game than people think)

Penn State vs Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl (Paterno has the most bowl wins in history but playing a Texas team in Texas; how motivated will the Aggies be given Francione's resignation?)

Kentucky vs Florida State in the Music City Bowl (pulling for the Cats to pull off the upset and with Woodson and his receivers they just might do it)

Michigan vs Florida in the Capital One bowl (Can the Wolverines, in Lloyd Carr's final game, stop Tebow & the Gators?)

Auburn vs Clemson in the Chik-fil_A bowl (great match-up between underrated teams)

Missouri vs Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl (Can the Tigers recover from their disappointing loss to the Sooners? Daniels vs McFadden--potential Heismann showdown?)

Arizona State vs Texas in the Holiday Bowl (Erickson against Brown in national championship winning coaches battle)

Pimp, I also honored Sean Taylor by not watching a single game. My 6-month-old got a good dose of fatherly attention. (I also limited my computer time to 3 minutes...enough time to check email on Yahoo.)

Awesome! That's what I like to hear. I am sure you greatly benefited from it as nothing can replace time spent with your children. Even at just 6 months old I'm sure that was quality time for your child as well. Good deal, Log!

sorry pimp I didnt honor sean taylor specifically, and i did watch the ceremony. hard to say what effect it had on them...it had to take something out of them emotionally ..draining them..they looked high as kite..then down at beginning after ceromony...then back up again...playing for there teamate...but prob worked against them in 4th quarter..Regardless..Gibbs fucked up another one...nothing more you can say about it. chances of dude hitting 51 yarder off wet, grass field in rain...unlikely...36 yarder no problem. now they have to fly to florida for funeral today and play on thursday...i do feel for them that will be tough. I would expect them to lose badly and/or get blown out thursday now there season is over and they are beat up physically and mentally and have little prep time. sorry but there is next year. if they get some wide recievers and another year with Campbell they will be able to open up the offense more for him, and not just play games so close to the vest...which they have been losing this year. future is good there dont fret too much...
i'm torn between wanting to be happy about giants, and wishing they would lose there games...ok we are likely the 5-7 best team in league..yea we will prob make a wild card..ok big deal..1 and done in all likelihood...that makes it a successfule season...but I rather know my team is a possible championship contender...than a team that can just win the wild card...and the Giants are not a championship contender...Eli Manning is an enigma...great when he is great, horrible when he is bad (he is a much better version of Rex Grossman) ..they can win with him, but they need their wide outs to be healthy..Burress hasnt been able to run for the past 5 games, Toomer is old and slow...and running back..they have 2 good ones who cant stay on the field...but they are very weak in the secondary......

OSU does have some speed unlike most Big 10 teams, and LSU will be hampered by losing its D cooridinator...and I still dont believe for a second that Miles is staying..and that will continue to be distraction...but playing in NO, on turf...I would take LSU all things considered equal...Trust me..getting blown out last year will have ZERO effect or motivation for OSU. Its a new year and new team...that is another media driven falacy..They are playing for the national title, that is all the motivation any of them need. If they need more, well they have a problem, and they have a great coach so I wouldnt worry bout motivation..not like they werent motivated last year, just got destroyed by a far better and talented team. also not playing for 50 days has to hurt them too. More I think about it, OSU is deserving, they did dominate most of there games, other than losing to ILLinois , other than the SEC which is clearly the best conference this year...the Big ten is still competitive with good teams (just not great ones)...the ACC or pac 10 prob 2nd/3rd best conferences top to bottom...and u can put the Big 12, Big 10 and Big East all together with several good but mediocre teams..guess have to give big 12 the nod with OU, Kansas (still a pretender in my book) and Missouri (also overrated). But MISSOURI is the team that got screwed. how do you go from #1 to out of the BCS by losing your conference tourney...how does Kansas get in ahead of them? when they beat Kansas? that is BS....
the other Big problem I have is that some conferences play a championship game, others dont...If they not gonna have a playoff...well the NCAA should mandate equal terms for all the conferences...
The Heisman was won by Tebow after this weekend..mark it down..and that is awarded before New Years btw.
the real deserving player is that running back from Central Florida...(not S. Florida)..who is going to break the all time rushing mark in there bowl game .needs like 134 yards to brek Marcus Allen's all time season mark of 2400+ yards or whatever it is. but he has no chance or mention.

interesting to see how the johan santana thing works out..supposedly today is a "deadline"

Just an fyi on Gibb's blunder: The kicker made the 51 yard field goal but a timeout had been called. Gibbs then asked the official if he could call a 2nd timeout, his final one, and he was told yes. He should have known the rule, as even he admitted, but the ref shouldn't have told him it was ok to call one either. Luckily there destiny is still in their own hands. Win out and they're in. All you can ask for this late in the season.

i didnt see the game only highlite..but what i saw was a last second time out before first kick ....and kicker didnt even attempt to kick it pimp? it will be on highlites again through day, so i will look for that? Its not for refs to say yes or no to asked for time outs..just call them ...just ask Chris Webber when he was at Michigan. I hate that time out rule that started in college this year, which they will change before next year i'm sure. The ref who called it prob didnt know the rule himself anyway. come on now..win out...you got to be kidding although 9 wins should get the second wild card in the NFC, and they have very tough schedule. On another note...despite my natural dislike (i didnt say hatred..i reserve that for Mule's team) I am rooting for them to finish 8-8 and hopefully slide in playoffs....

i didnt see the game only highlite..but what i saw was a last second time out before first kick ....and kicker didnt even attempt to kick it pimp? it will be on highlites again through day, so i will look for that? Its not for refs to say yes or no to asked for time outs..just call them ...just ask Chris Webber when he was at Michigan. I hate that time out rule that started in college this year, which they will change before next year i'm sure. The ref who called it prob didnt know the rule himself anyway. come on now..win out...you got to be kidding although 9 wins should get the second wild card in the NFC, and they have very tough schedule. On another note...despite my natural dislike (i didnt say hatred..i reserve that for Mule's team) I am rooting for them to finish 8-8 and hopefully slide in playoffs....

Lindell successfully made the 51 yard kick but Gibbs had called time-out. He lined up to kick it again and Gibbs, after asking the ref if he could do so, called his third and final time-out which resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and made the next try a 36 yarder instead of 51. Was it a huge blunder? Yes. Is that the reason the Redskins lost? No. Lindell made the first 51 yarder so he'd have likely nailed the 2nd attempt too. Plus he was 4 for 4 on field goals prior to that. Gibbs should have know that rule but even Ditka said today few coaches know it. I sure didn't as I could have sworn I'd seen teams call 3 straight timeouts, if they had them, to freeze the kicker. Even still this loss can be blamed on many things other (and before) Gibbs' mistake:

* an anemic running game (Portis rushed 25 times for 50 yards; that's 2 per carry)
* 2 turnovers that led to 6 Buffalo points
* a safety; Campbell MUST throw the ball away in that situation
* the issue I've harped on all year; the inability to get touchdowns in the redzone. They had to settle for 3's again (inside the Bill 20 three times).
* the death of Taylor, while not an excuse, cannot be understated in its affect on the team.

All those reasons are why the Redskins lost so it's unfair to put it all in Gibbs lap but he continues to take the blame (as a great coach should), deflecting criticism of his team and catching the heat. it's why his players love him but also why he's manuevering himself out of a job and tarnishing his legacy in the eyes of some (not mine mind you).

They do have a tough road to hoe but all can get right if they win. Winning cures everything. Arizona, Detroit and Minnesota are all at 6-6. The Redskins have beaten the Cardinals and Lions head to head. Detroit will not finish better than 7-9 or 8-8 (.500 is a stretch). Arizona won't finish better than 9-7 (8-8) more likely. The Skins play Minnesota head to head in week 15. All they must do is simply win out. If they do so they are in. Period. A tall order? Absolutely. An impossible one? Not at all.

8 - 8 may very well get a playoff spot this year but I think Minny has the inside track to take it. I just think that things are coming together for them and will finish the season strong.

Pats just had a gut check. It was a hell of a fourth quarter especially the last seven minutes. They showed again how a good team wins even when stupid and unexpected things happen and so so teams don't. You can almost say that teams create their own luck. So so teams who have lost 5 in a row make their own bad luck and good teams who have won 11 in a row make their own good luck. What a wild finish.

I wish the Browns were in the NFC (or the Indians were in the National league). The JV's of pro sports

rolot...leagues are ciclycle (how do you spell that word). the second u put the browns in nfc, well it will become the dominant conference again as it was in 80's. same with the national league...strive to be and beat the best...that is a lame wish. the Browns are one of most exciting teams this year. watch out for them next year too. question is will they keep or trade Quinn. I would trade him for draft picks, and look to pick up a solid back up.

did anyone see the end of Skins game and confirm the debate about the kick...I still have only seen replays where timeout was called before the snap on the 51 yarder..but i didnt see the game...not calling you a liar pimp...just what i seen on tv.

pimp... looking at schedule and the mediocre teams fighting for last spot you def have a good shot, but thursday is a def must game. I just wonder how they will respond emotionally with traveling back and forth to florida and 1-2 days of practice?
I dont think you understand youre team frankly and what Gibbs is trying to do there...you have a young limited QB and inconsistent wide outs...he is playing old school "Eastern Parcells like" football... time of possession, field position, running the ball, try to limit the turnovers..not let the QB make mistakes and blow the game.....keep the game close in fourth quater and try and win the game... watch them next year...the offense will open up alot more as Campbell is more seasoned. The championship teams had veteran QB's and receivers if you remember, and they threw the ball all over the place..along with running. as for abandoning the run..even if it isnt getting yardage can be a big mistake..cant tell you how many times I have seen teams do that...also, Buffalo has no offense, especially without Lynch in the lineup. the turnovers and his blunder blew the game.(although IF the 51 yarder actually went in..well then the game was blown before that anyway) thats the bottom line...but you have been watching all year..you know he has made several "time management/clock" mistakes this year. it is such a fine line between winning and losing in that league...they arent good enough to win those games yet...next year i keep telling you..the NFC East will continue to be brutal. When the Giants had there backs healthy and in game this year...well they play a more conservative game, and then Eli Manning can excell, for he is far more accomplished/experienced then campbell...but he is still prone to mistakes as we all see...I would even consider a trade straight up for Campbell for Eli Manning, and i stil like Eli, think they can win with him....he is great when he is on..but he makes some big time mistakes..which kill them too....he does take too much blame as all QB's do, but he when you are 1st pick in draft...turn down SD and force a trade to go to NY..get millions and millions of $$$ well the pressure comes with that....but I like Campbelll but he is way too young yet...its his first full year...i doubt they are even using 2/3 of that vaunted playbook of there OC...he has played pretty dam good over all. next year he will def improve and he could be top 5-10 QB who knows even higher..in 2-4 years. just be realistic about youre team ...

Pooch regarding Brady Quinn, I understand that a couple weeks ago it was almost a lock that they were going to move him to get back in this years first round (and for players). The last two weeks, Derek Anderson has been a bit shaky. That, along with the facts that you can never have too many good QB's in the NFL, and that Quinn's contract is VERY reasonable for what everyone thought would be a top 3 draft pic, may convince the Browns to keep Quinn

Win & In!!!

I said before the season started that my Redskins would make the playoffs. Now I'm one week and 60 minutes away from being right on the money! And how fitting is that it comes down to Cowboys verses Indians; Washington against Dallas? And with Dallas likely resting starters and T.O. definitely out, the Skins chances are more than decent. But hell, I'd almost rather have Dallas at full strength as I don't want the Skins thinking because the game is at home and Dallas isn't playing for anything that they're guaranteed a win. Given who our coach is I doubt very much that will happen. Even if the Skins lose they still won't be eliminated necessarily. If Minnesota loses (@ Denver) and New Orleans loses (vs Chicago) the Skins will still get in.

Wow.....I can't say enough about my Redskins. I can't believe they are in a position to control their own destiny and get into the playoffs given what they've gone through this season. It's a testament to their coach that they are in this position. So for everyone who said Joe Gibbs could no longer coach and that the game had passed him by you were clearly out of your friggin' minds! Few, if any coaches in the NFL, could have held a team together and have them on the brink of the playoffs when:

*it loses three starting ol for the year in just the third week
* it loses their starting cornerback for the year just 6 games into the season
* it faces four must win games with a quarterback who hadn't started a game in TEN years!!
*overcomes the murder of a teammate (and their best defensive player)
*wins 4 games in a row against the caliber of Chicago, New York, Minnesota and Dallas
*starts an undrafted rookie free-agent at offensive tackle who shuts out Michael Strahan from getting a sack
*they face elimination against a team with everything to gain and can clinch a playoff spot on their own field and dominate them the way the Redskins did

So not only has Gibbs not lost it but he even deserves some mention as a coach of the year candidate!

And tonight that defense, on the road, played lights out! They were the kryptonite for Minnesota's rookie superman (Peterson; 10 carries for 25 yards) and completely shut him and Chester Taylor down!

Todd Collins played brilliantly and the team is peaking at the perfect team. The Skins are playing great football these last three weeks and, if they continue it for one more wek, they'll be going into the playoffs with a ton of momentum!!

And while the Skins are not in quite yet they stand on the verge, the precipice, the cusp of their 2nd playoff appearance in 4 seasons under Gibbs after having only one in the twelve years prior to his return!

This season, my friends, exemplifies, personifies and embodies exactly and precisely while Joe Gibbs is in the national football league's hall of fame!

Hail to the Redskins
hail to victory
Hail to the Redskins
and hail to old DC!

Can't wait to see that Redskin avatar next Sunday night, Mulie!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread