• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Thread about Sports

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
It All Comes Down to This

Week 17:
Redskins (8-7) vs. Cowboys (13-2)
The Redskins close out the regular season with an NFC East matchup against the Dallas Cowboys at FedExField on Sunday, Dec. 30. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. ET.

With a win, the Redskins would secure a Wild Card playoff berth in the NFC. If the Redskins lose, they could also earn a playoff spot if both Minnesota and New Orleans also lose on Sunday.

At FedExField, the Redskins are 4-3 this season.

The Redskins are 2-3 in NFC East games this year. In Week 11, the Cowboys defeated the Redskins 28-23 at Texas Stadium.

The Redskins-Cowboys game will be broadcast locally and nationally on FOX. Joe Buck handles the play by play with color commentary from Troy Aikman. Pam Oliver will serve as sideline reporter.

On radio, the game will be broadcast on Triple X ESPN Radio (94.3, 92.7 FM and 730 AM) and WBIG 100.3. Larry Michael handles the play-by-play with color commentary from Redskins legends and NFL Hall of Famers quarterback Sonny Jurgensen and linebacker Sam Huff. Bram Weinstein serves as sideline reporter.

The Redskins are coming off a 32-21 win over the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome last Sunday.

Dallas defeated the Carolina Panthers 20-13 last Saturday and clinched home field advantage through the NFC playoffs.

Quarterback Tony Romo completed 28-of-42 passes for 257 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. Running back Marion Barber rushed for 110 yards and one touchdown on 21 carries. Puss-rush linebacker DeMarcus Ware had two sacks.

Terrell Owens left the game in the first half with a high ankle sprain that could sideline him for the Cowboys' season finale.

-- PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS

OFFENSE
Pos. Redskins Cowboys

WR 89 Santana Moss 83 Terry Glenn

LT 60 Chris Samuels 76 Flozell Adams

LG 63 Pete Kendall 63 Kyle Kosier

C 61 Casey Rabach 65 Andre Gurode
RG 69 Jason Fabini 70 Leonard Davis
RT 74 Stephon Heyer 75 Marc Colombo

TE 47 Chris Cooley 82 Jason Witten

WR 82 Antwaan Randle El 84 Patrick Crayton
QB 15 Todd Collins 9 Tony Romo
FB 45 Mike Sellers 46 Oliver Hoyte
RB 26 Clinton Portis 21 Julius Jones

DEFENSE
Pos. Redskins Cowboys

DE 99 Andre Carter 96 Marcus Spears

DT 96 Cornelius Griffin 90 Jay Ratliff

DT/DE 94 A. Montgomery 99 Chris Canty

DE/LB 93 Phillip Daniels 98 Greg Ellis
LB/MLB 53 M. Washington 56 Bradie James
MLB 59 London Fletcher 51 Akin Ayodele

WLB 57 Randall Godfrey 94 DeMarcus Ware

LCB 27 Fred Smoot 41 Terence Newman
RCB 24 Shawn Springs 42 Anthony Henry
SS 30 LaRon Landry 31 Roy Williams
FS 37 Reed Doughty 26 Ken Hamlin

SPECIAL TEAMS
Pos. Redskins Cowboys

P 4 Derrick Frost 1 Mat McBriar

K 6 Shaun Suisham 6 Nick Folk

H 4 Derrick Frost 14 Brad Johnson

LS 71 Ethan Albright 91 L.P. Ladouceur
KOR 31 Rock Cartwright 19 Miles Austin
PR 82 A. Randle El 41 Terence Newman

-- SERIES HISTORY
Sunday's Redskins-Cowboys matchup marks the 96th time the two clubs have played since their storied rivalry began in 1960. The two teams have played at least twice a year each regular season since 1961, with the exception of the strike-shortened 1982 season.

Dallas leads the all-time series 56-37-2, with victories in 16 of the last 20 games. The Redskins have won three of the last five contests, however.

In Week 11 earlier this season, the Cowboys defeated the Redskins 28-23 at Texas Stadium as Tony Romo connected on four touchdown passes to Terrell Owens. The Redskins' fourth-quarter comeback was thwarted when Terence Newman intercepted Jason Campbell.

The Redskins and Cowboys split two games in the 2006 season.

In Week 2 of the 2006 season, Dallas defeated the Redskins 27-10 on Sunday Night Football at Texas Stadium. The Redskins' offense was 2-of-14 on third downs and Mark Brunell was sacked six times and threw one interception. Dallas compiled 138 rushing yards in the win.

Seven weeks later, the Redskins stunned the Cowboys with a dramatic win at FedExField.

Tied 19-19, Troy Vincent blocked a last second field goal attempt by Dallas that would have given the Cowboys the win. Sean Taylor scooped up the ball and ran 30 yards, weaving his way past tacklers.

A Dallas penalty gave second-year kicker Nick Novak--who moments earlier had missed a 49-yard attempt--a chance to win it for the Redskins with no time left on the clock. He did just that, with a 47-yard field goal just inside the uprights, lifting Washington to a 22-19 win.

In another recent memorable game, the Redskins defeated the Cowboys 14-13 on Sept. 19, 2005, as Washington orchestrated a memorable come-from-behind victory.

Mark Brunell found Santana Moss for two touchdown passes late in the fourth quarter and the Redskins won 14-13. It was the Redskins' first victory at Texas Stadium since 1995.

The first time the two clubs met was in 1960. The Cowboys were just three weeks old and has lost their first game. Dallas headed to Washington for its first-ever road contest and lost 26-14 in front of 21,142 fans.

The Redskins and Cowboys have clashed twice in the postseason, with Washington winning both meetings: 26-3 in the 1972 NFC Championship Game and 31-17 in the 1982 NFC Championship Game.

-- TALE OF THE TAPE: REDSKINS-COWBOYS

REDSKINS 2007 STATISTICAL RANKINGS

Offense Rank Yards/Game
Total Offense 16 332.0
Rushing Offense 13 116.0
Passing Offense 14 216.0
Defense Rank Yards/Game
Total Defense 12 315.8
Rushing Defense 8 97.3
Passing Defense 16 218.5

COWBOYS 2007 STATISTICAL RANKINGS

Offense Rank Yards/Game
Total Offense 2 380.3
Rushing Offense 12 116.3
Passing Offense 4 263.9
Defense Rank Yards/Game
Total Defense 8 304.5
Rushing Defense 4 92.1
Passing Defense 13 212.4

-- REDSKINS-COWBOYS: NEWS & NOTES

With the Redskins' 32-21 win over the Minnesota Vikings, head coach Joe Gibbs tied Paul Brown for 10th place in NFL history with 170 career victories.
The win also improved Gibbs's record in Minnesota to 6-0, a mark that includes his Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo in January 1992.

Prior to the Redskins-Cowboys matchup in Week 11, Joe Gibbs had never coached against a team led by Wade Phillips.
Phillips has had head coaching stints with the Denver Broncos (1993-94) and Buffalo Bills (1998-2000). He was also an interim head coach for the New Orleans Saints (1985) and Atlanta Falcons (2003).

Phillips has an all-time coaching record of 61-44.

Gibbs has coached against Phillips' father Bum, though. In 1982, Gibbs's Redskins defeated Bum Phillips's New Orleans Saints 27-10 at the Louisiana Superdome.

Against Dallas, Joe Gibbs has an all-time record of 16-16.

Attachments

• gamedayredskins_cowboys.jpg
    gamedayredskins_cowboys.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 27
Cool Pimp. Almost wish you would do the play by play (via simulcast of course) and MuleMan and I could stay here at the "puter".

I did notice a small omission though where you said "color commentary by Troy Aikman".

Norm

I just posted the info from the Redskin Insider (a weekly newsletter I get in my e-mail). What is it about Troy Aikman? By the way, did you see Glenn was going to make his season debut in the game and also where the Cowboys signed Drayton to a 4 year extension?

pimpology101 said:
What is it about Troy Aikman?

You really meant to say "with color commentary from Cowboys legend and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman" didn't you Pimp?

Glenn will just be trying to get back in sync. I think that even in the playoffs he will do more to take coverage from TO than anything. Two knee operations this year. He can't be the old Glenn. Can you imagine covering this team with both of them in top form. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the division next year.

From your stats Pimp it looks like Dallas ended up with a higher ranked defense than Wash this year. I was especially surprised at the higher ranking against the pass. Though the Cowboy secondary seemed better in the second half of the season, I believe it was because of the better rush defense when Ellis came back.

Norm

I was a little surprised but not much. Losing Sean Taylor and Carlos Rodgers has hurt the team if no more than statistically. Plus the one game anamoly against the Patriots didn't help the numbers. I'd still much rather have our defense than the Cowboys. You get consistent greatness from our defensive whereas you get one dominate game from the Cowboys and the next they give up yardage like it's free against someone like Detroit.

By the way, does the Redskins being a 9 point favorite in the game scare the hell out of any other Redskin's fans or just me???

Wade Phillips just announced Romo would start but play no more than a quarter most likely. Brad Johnson hates the Redskins and Dan Snyder (rightfully so) so this isn't necessarily good news.

Johnson does need the work though.

Never mind the spread on this one (or any Cowboy/Redskin game) Whoever is on the field knows its one of the best rivalries in sports. Certainly in football. I just would like to see all the regular starters play no more than one quarter. Hell, I don't even want them to play that. Forfeit the game and play them for real in the playoffs. This is just an exhibition game for the "Boys."

Damn, lets get to the playoffs already.

Easy for you to say when you've clinched and we have to win to get in!! LOL

Ordinarily I'd be all for a forfeit to see the Skins get in but no, I'd rather they earn their way in even if it is against a Cowboy team not at full strength. Back-ups are no slouches in this league and this is their one moment to shine. They'll play out of their minds to make the most of it, including Johnson who is pretty damn good still.

damn i tried to read that and it immediately started to sound racist in content (although I cant say for sure) malikom If you hope to raise the racist fires in DC, start a fresh thread (blacks being superior in athletics...well that i guess that is worth debating), dont ruin this one.

pimp whatever motivated you to post the text version of the skins website...well only you know .....but the old time rivalries in NFL are just not the same anymore. any NFC east battle is a rivalry, as are the AFC West and few others (bears - pack) ..but due to free agency...the rivalries just arent the same...the only real rivalry right now is Indy vs. Pats for they both been top teams for last 5 years...that will run its course and the next best powers will be the heated rivalry in the league..that will be cyclical. you cant compare skins-cowboys nowadays to say Yanks-Redsox or any of the huge College rivalries...michigan OSU, Bama Auburn, etc.

For traditionalists and die hards, the Cowboys/Skins rivalry will always be a great one; regardless of the players or coaches. It transcends both for those who appreciate it.

thankyou for proving my point... of course it is important to die hards like you...but its the less than die hard fans, the more casual sports fan, the front runners, that make the difference in it being what it once was vs what it is today. its no longer has national signicance...now if both teams stay real good again..well it can pick back up, cause it does have history that others dont.

Pooch, I don't believe that both teams need to be good to have a rivalry. As a matter of fact I think its major upsets and hopes for upsets that could very well be the lifeblood of a rivalry and keeps it going. You must be a young'un yet to think that both teams have to be good to be a rivalry.

You make a good point about what free agency has done but I think you may be missing what a true rivalry is. Its the history, lore, anticipation, upsets, incidents (both good and bad) and so much more including respect and even fear for that rival no matter what their record is that makes a great rivalry.

When your team goes into its hated rivals stadium, you know that anything can happen and usually does. I am a big Cowboy fan (41 years) and I am a big Patriot fan (31 years) and believe me I don't even consider Indy/Pats a rivalry yet. Five years does not make a true rivalry though they have had a couple of great and important games. I live seven miles from the Patriot's stadium and people around here would consider the Jets our biggest rival in the division.

Records don’t mean a thing in a true rivalry. You get the "A" game every time.

Norm

The Dallas Cowboys against the Washington Redskins will always have national significance because it's firmly entrenched and established. The Yankees and Red Sox didn't cease to be a major rivalry of importance nationally when of the two was down. Neither will/has Sins vs Boys.

pimpology101 said:
The Dallas Cowboys against the Washington Redskins will always have national significance because it's firmly entrenched and established. The Yankees and Red Sox didn't cease to be a major rivalry of importance nationally when one of the two was down. Neither will/has Skins vs Boys.

Damn straight!

GO COWBOYS!

GO REDSKINS!

LETS PLAY!

Norm........are you ready for some football??? ;) :)

Fuck the NFL network.......greedy sons of bitches. The only reason tonight's Pats/Giants game is gonna be simulcast on CBS and NBC is they (the NFL network) finally got the message we're not paying for it. Enough's enough.

So far so good. Even with Dallas playing their starters the entire half (minus Owens of course), the Redskins have held the vaunted Cowboy offense to just 61 yards (3 rushing) and 4 first downs (2 by penalty) and are playing well. 30 minutes to go (not that it appears to matter with New Orleans having lost and the Broncos up double-digits on the Vikings).

Wow! Even though Dallas had nothing to play for I would never in my wildest dreams thought the Redskins would totally dominate them the way they did today. To hold them to a franchise record-low of 1 total yard rushing and only 142 yards for the entire game is amazing given the Cowboys were the 2nd ranked offense in the entire NFL. And for Portis to be the first running back in 17 games to rush for 100 yards against Dallas was sweet too. Holding the ball for 37 of 60 minutes and keeping Dallas 0 for 11 on 3rd downs were huge keys as well. And, much like they did in 2005 when they won their last 5 to get in the playoffs at 10-6, the Skins reel off their last 4 and go to Seattle riding a huge wave of momentum. I couldn't be any prouder of this team if they were the ones who are 16-0.

So.......

Mule: That Redskin avatar is gonna look so good on you! Can't wait to see it!

Norm: Hope we get to see the rubber match in two weeks!

Joe Gibbs: You are one heck of a coach and an even better man! I admire the hell out of you! 2 playoff appearances in 4 years for somebody who was washed up and supposedly can't coach anymore aint bad! All of your detractors just got a big taste of shut the **** up!!!

Greg Williams: You are the best defensive coordinator in football! Glad you're on our side!

Todd Collins: Thank you! What you've accomplished, having not taken a snap in ten years, is nothing short of remarkable.

Santanna Moss: Good to see you finally healthy and producing like people expected you to! You are the key!!

Clinton Portis: You are the most under rated back in the league. Great season!!

Offensive line: To be playing like you are given all the injuries is amazing. Great job to you and Joe Bugel!

Sean Taylor: This is for you, man. Always remember.....never forget!

Seattle: See you next week, the Skins are on the warpath!!!

Hail to the Redskins
hail to victory
Hail to the Redskins
and hail to old D.C.!

Legends

Hall of fame NFL coach and (should be) 2007 NFC coach of the year and the coach with the most bowl wins in NCAA history.

Attachments

• ahalloffamer.jpg
    ahalloffamer.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
  • ajoepa.jpg
    ajoepa.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 26
The Redskins

They are playing as good as anybody (sans the Patriots) in the NFL. I'm not forecasting doom and gloom for my C'boys...but I am very dubious as to their real caliber. (Defensive shortcomings...mediocre running game)

B' interesting to see which team shows up in two weeks.

Several playoff bound teams DID loose today...but did anyone look as poor as the Boys?

I'll say it right here and now...I think the Redskins will take Seattle out.

And come to Big D.

Users who are viewing this thread