• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Thread about Sports

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
OK here it is Gibbs "was" a good coach in his day they should put him back in his rocker so he can set there and rock while the game clock runs and stare at it. Okie better not win and they won't. Hell I think Pooch has got more football sense then that guy from Ohio that loves the skins with the old retired coach that was good. But football coaches are like old men when they get so old they can't get it up any more. They play a limp game. Go Cowboys Aren't they Good hell they can play a fucked up game and still win now that is talent.

Go ahead and tweak me all you want, Mulie. Your Cowgirls haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. Hell, even Gibbs has won one since then. I don't have to validate his merits as a coach. He has a bust in Canton that does that for him.

And Missouri could well win against Oklahoma........but they won't!

Ok Pimp and MuleMan, you guys have to slap some brains into me here because I read something that almost makes sense to me but it can't be. Now get this.

It would be better for Dallas to play Green Bay in Green Bay in January. Yes you read that right. Think about it. Now here is the reasoning. Winter weather hurts the passing game and a passing game is all Green Bay has. They have no running game. Dallas can always run the ball with two quality backs. In good weather in Dallas, Farve can pick apart Dallas' weakness, which is their secondary.

You got to admit it does make some weird kind of sense in a way.

Norm

For people who think the Packers have no running game I think they have convieniently forgotten new found Ryan Grant. Two starts and two 100 yard games.

I can't believe Sean Taylor is gone. I am just in shock right now. It defies my ability as a human being to understand these senseless acts of violence. I don't know how the team can even be expected to finish the season. I know football doesn't mean shit to me right now. I tend to take these types of things very hard and to get emotional (still not over the death of childhood icon Archie Bunker (Carrol O'connor) to this day). This will bother me a long, long, long time.

I'm just sick......can't put into words. A new baby son.........a future as bright as the sun...24 years old.....the best safety in the game......

all taken away because some human piece of absolute shit and filth decides to rob a home. I hope they catch this (non) person and let Taylor's family each have a plunge of the syringe.

I feel like throwing up......

later...........

pimp before yesterday with Taylor..(and its a shame..he was a talented thug who was making good on his past mistakes) what is all this major adversity that the skins have gone through..more than any other team?

you can say all you want how the media played up that Parcells/Owens feud, but Ownes still had alot of catches and there was no real distraction on the field....are you saying that Romo was distracted by Parcells/Owens when he dropped the field goal attempt that would have put them in the conference championship game? all that crap is overrated...and mostly media driven...I would say that Parcells handled it poorly but he manages by the my way or the highway approach...however that has worked for many players like Terry 'she' Glenn, Phil Simms (Parcells put him through hell) and many others. There are many ways to manage and succeed..all that matters is that there is talent, and the talent plays hard and executes...whatever happens in locker room rarely matter.. Wasnt around to see it but the mid-70's Athletics hated each other, fought all time amongst themselves, manager Dick Willaims (a Parcells like coach) and there crazy owner (sort of like Sneider i guess), but they won on the field.

also every team plays a system...Tim Tebow must get credit for doing something that has never been done before...period. Would Montana be best QB of all time (rated by many) if he wasnt in Bill Walshes system? maybe maybe not? I still agree with you that McFadden who takes direct snaps..even threw a few TD passes should get it. Also i think it is rediculous to eliminate the best players because there team loses a few games...not like Florida or Arkansas lost to a bunch of patsys in the SEC.
Regardless the heisman, like most of College Football is a joke...hell Laurenitis on osu may be best player in college, but defensive players arent even considered.

watch out..Yankees are going to get Johan Santana ...Frankly, I hate the fact that the twins cant keep there team together, lose Hunter...they are a well run organization with no chance to win it all.year in year out...unless they get very lucky..and capitalize on that year or 2 window they may have...same will be with Colorodo, Milwaukee, etc...will they be able to keep those young players together as they have to pay them all? thats what really sucks about baseball..even though there has been a different champ for like 6-7 seasons...and many more teams have become competitive...even the Indians who have money prob wont be able to keep all there young players in years to come .. I am Yankee fan but i dont take any special pleasure in fact they can afford to make mistakes unlike most other teams. they still need to be smart with there money to win, but they have such huge advantages its not fair in long run.

I could give two shits less right now about any of it, Pooch. At a time like this sports aren't even a fucking consideration. Maybe I'll address your post later (and maybe I won't). I don't agree with much of it though.

Pooch, I owe you an apology. My reply to your post was uncalled for and terribly, terribly wrong. My emotions, given what they are, are no excuse for being a dick. So I apologize. Profusely.

no appology necessary no offense taken

come on Mule Gibbs hasnt lost it yet...you think he wouldnt be winning with the Cowboys this year? Wade Phillips is a good coach..he has had both success and failures in past...again...based on talent given him...Parcells left alot of talent for him ...but he and his staff must get some credit for winning with it.

now at time like this...you will see how Gibbs will keep them together for they still have to play game this week ..that must be a hard thing for them to do and deal with.

i'm not discounting the importance of coaching and/or teamwork/chemistry..for they are important..can be very important to a winning team...but i will go to my grave thinking..in all sports......give me great talent and a mediocre coach...and i will most always beat a great coach with mediocre talent... sure a bad coach can screw up great talent but that is rare...it is more common for a great coach to get mediocre talent to over achieve...

Joe Torre is not one of the best managers of all time...from a game/strategy standpoint...he had a losing record before he got to the yankees...but his personality was right for that team...there the chemistry he created..and him dealing with Steinbrenner and media is what made him great/successful...oh yea..and the outrageous talent he had to play! He definitely deserves credit but i could have managed the 98 team to 100+ wins as could have any of you...

no offense to sean taylor..but i dont mourn his loss any more than any other 'nobody' out there who has been unnecessary taken do to violence or some other stupidy out there..just because he was famous/athlete...but it is tragedy...he left a 1 year old child fatherless...that is the biggest loss..not that the Skins now need another Safety.

I hate guns..although I support the right to bare arms ...but I also support the death penalty too.....I wonder if this episode was a hit..more so than a robbery...who knows..guess we will find out soon enough...does it really matter..no. doesnt bring him back....

OK Pimp bad news with Taylor seems like every year a up and comming standout is always wasted with some damn crime shit it is to bad all the way around he would of had a great life in football. Now Pooch I think Joe is better then Wade what I mean is Gibbs needs to step down and they need to get Bill in which you want to go to the Giants and I think he would be a great asset to the Skins. Now Norm you hit the nail on the head with the GB game It is tough to throw long yardage with the snow a blowing and 0 degrees. Running game Boys by far over GB. So as we are nearing the wire folks let me tell you who will be in the big game. Dallas and the Pats

What can I say? I’m a Scorpio, I’m ruled by emotion. I feel things very, very deeply. It’s both a blessing and a curse; the highs are incredibly high but the lows are devastatingly low. I tend to brood and take things like Taylor’s death very, very hard. Why, I don’t know. I can’t keep myself from thinking about his seven-month old son, his father, his mother, his siblings, his girlfriend, his friends, his teammates and Redskin family. I think about Greg Williams who completely lost it and broke down. He was particularly fond of and close to Taylor. I think of the affects of losing a player on a 67 year old head coach with diabetes who he was instrumental in turning around.

But I keep coming back to his little boy. A son who will grow up without his father. A boy will never know his Dad. That same little boy whose birth had such a profound impact on his father, causing him to completely turn his life around. It’s all just so utterly senseless and tragic. I think about Don Rodgers, Kenny Easley, Joe Delaney, Len Bias, Darrant Williams and countless others. Young men whose stars shined so brightly they threatened to blind us. All taken from this world far too early.

And that’s not even taking into account the ramifications on the Redskins as a football team. They lose millions of invested dollars. They lose without question the best safety in the entire NFL and perhaps the best defensive player in the league period. They lose a team captain who was 24. They lose an all-pro safety who was 24. They lose the league leader in interceptions who was 24. They lose a friend and a teammate who was 24. Taylor had so much untapped potential it bordered on the obscene. He was growing into a great football player but more importantly, a better man. Now he’s gone. His child is fatherless. His family devastated. His career and life finished. It just makes so little sense.

And football is so not on the radar screen of what is significant or important right now-it’s not even a consideration or relevant. I could care less at this moment whether the Redskins make the playoffs or not. There are so many more pertinent and pressing things to deal with. It’s just a shame and a sad commentary on both society in general, and myself individually, that it takes such a tragedy to remind us of what really matters and what is important. It shouldn’t take something like this to put things in the proper perspective for me…..for us, but it often does. Football is just a game. An inconsequential game….and one I take far too seriously at times. It means less than nothing in the grand scheme of things. Less than nothing.

God bless you #21……..Godspeed!

Hail to the Redskins
Hail to the Sun
Hail to the Redskins
And hail to 21!!

I read a yahoo article earlier that indicated Taylor had a seven-month old son. Every report I’ve seen since, on ESPN and online, has said that he had an eighteen month old daughter. I don’t know which reports are accurate or if perhaps Taylor had two children. Regardless, death is no respecter of gender and a child, whether a son or a daughter (or perhaps both), is still fatherless. It does not lessen the hurt of the tragedy, only perhaps makes it that much worse if he indeed had two kids.

If Joe Gibbs was ever worth his weight in gold, it is certainly now. No other coach in the NFL could better handle such a situation. Mark Schlereth, a former Redskin player under Gibbs and now an ESPN analyst, echoed such sentiment today. Whether or not he is able to lead this team into the playoffs is irrelevant at this point. His character, empathy and spirituality make him the perfect coach for a team now devastated by current events. I hope Dan Snyder realizes what a great coach and what an even better man he has at the helm of his team.

I doubt Gibbs will (or would) coach beyond his contract (which expires at the end of next year) but this is one fan who would be ecstatic if he did. But, caring about Joe Gibbs as a person, which I do, there’s a part of me beyond being a football fan that hopes he doesn’t. He has nothing left to prove and, at his age and with diabetes, he needn’t subject himself to the rigors and frustrations of an NFL head coaching gig.

Man….am I ever gonna have a hard time coping when Joe Gibbs, James Garner, Jimmy Buffett and Merle Haggard die……..assuming that I outlive them all.

And this is in no way meant to laud a celebrity over the deaths, tragic or otherwise, of the countless people who leave this world in an untimely fashion. It's just this affects a conttingent of fans of sport and it takes something like this to often realize how fragile life is and to get us to acknowledge the others. It's not how it should be but how it is. So tell your loved ones how much you care about them today and hug them a little tighter.

ive stuck up for gibbs...he handled himself (as did Schneider) with grace and dignity ...but isnt the only coach who would do the same ....dungy had his own son die during the season and nobody handled that situation any better. even guys like belechik would come out and show there true selves..not there media personality..or lack there of... now dont go freaking out that i'm comparing belechik to gibbs...just making a point...
i hadnt heard of taylors 'boy'..just his other discretions in his past (arrest, dwi, spitting on players)..but he was said to have gotten his shit together .and now would have made a great role model, which is a real loss. Pimp ..the boy is probably Travis Henry's..lmao.

also stating taylor was best safety in league...very debatable...best defensive player..not even close. This year its Albert Haynesworth on Tenn..by far most dominating player in league...Champ Bailey, Uerlacher, and others are far better than Taylor was..but he was still improving. .....i give you this..Taylor def better than the way over rated..Roy Williams on cowboys ..who is horrible in passing game.

how many of you have the NFL networK? without knowing i recently switched my cable and now have it, but didnt when the Pats/Colts game played on there few weeks back.

get ready people may not be next contract but prob ...all or most games will be on nfl network and nothing or very few on free tv. thats coming, they got us all by the cross hairs.

Bellechick wouldn't know what to do if ever hit with this kind of stuff. He'd crumple if ever in a shit storm.

Taylor was BY FAR the best safety in the entire NFL. Best defensive player period may be a stretch but barely....Urlacher is having a shitty season and Haynesworth has missed several games.

Last edited by a moderator:
haynesworth has missed same amount of games as taylor, but he was and still may be D player of year. there is no question he is the most dominating player in the game this year on D... I know the texans are hoping he doesnt play this sunday.

Urlacher has played his normal steady great game, dont blame him that bears have no offense...and they lost there 2 other best D players early in year too.
I'd take Asante Samuel too. i dont know enough safetys to say he is best this year...polomolou is/has been the best in past 2 years, but i think he has been hurt lately too. BTW what happen to Betts? havent seen heard much from him//he hurt?

For those who speak of knowing Belechik say what a great guy he is and how fun he is..he just doesnt show it in the NFL...which is by design...he has been known to travel with Bon Jovi so i heard. hopefully he and no one else will have to deal with it.
Tony Larrusa who is not exactly mister personality with the media dealt with same thing this year with much class also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samuel is a cornerback not a safety. Ed Reed is the next best safety but even he conceded Taylor was a freak of nature.

The Bears defense has been as bad as their offense this season (see Adrian Petersen) and that includes Urlacher.

Betts had 8 carries for 47 yards last game but his work load isn't what it is last year with Portis healthy again.

Big game today the Boys have to keep the ball on the ground run it control the game and clock and keep it out of Brets hands. GB has the edge in passing toss up with the hands maybe, boys have a edge on the running game Boys. Score 24 to 27 Boys The Big D defense is going to have to shine. Pooch and Norm gets lots of beer this will be a game to watch. Yes Pooch it is turning into a pay for watch sport world. GO BOYS

Users who are viewing this thread