• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Thread about Sports

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
Of the wild-card contending teams, whose schedule would you rather have?

(5-5) Washington’s remaining games:

@ Tampa Bay: 6-4
Buffalo: 5-5
Chicago: 4-6
@ New York: 7-3
@ Minnesota: 4-6
Dallas: 9-1
(remaining opponents record: 35-25)

(6-4) Detroit’s remaining games:

Green Bay: 9-1
@ Minnesota: 4-6
Dallas: 9-1
@ San Diego: 5-5
Kansas City: 4-6
@ Green Bay: 9-1
(remaining opponents record: 40-20)

(5-5) Arizona’s remaining games:

San Francisco: 3-7
Cleveland: 6-4
@ Seattle: 6-4
@ New Orleans: 4-6
Atlanta: 4-6
St. Louis: 2-8
(remaining opponents record: 25-35)

Philadelphia’s remaining games:

@ New England: 10-0
Seattle: 6-4
New York: 7-3
@ Dallas: 9-1
@ New Orleans: 4-6
Buffalo: 5-5
(remaining oppents record: 41-19)

I wouldn’t want Detroit or Philly’s remaining schedule. Arizona, on paper, has the easiest remaining games. At least Washington holds tie-breakers over both Arizona and Detroit by virtue of head-to-head wins against each. I see the potential wild-card teams finishing like this:

Washington 10-6 or 9-7
Arizona 9-7
Detroit 8-8
Philadelphia 7-9

I think the Giants and Redskins qualify for the two NFC wild card berths.

I know you guys like to give me a hard time and tease me (although I assume most of it is in good fun) but even the most ardent Redskin hater, in good conscience, can’t tell me the Redskins aren’t a good team and were clearly the better team today. I’ll back off my stance a bit as far as them being an elite team, even in the weak NFC. Elite teams don’t turn the ball over four times in a half and GIVE the opponent 16 points before basically even starting the game. That being said, I don’t think I have ever seen too many more dominating performances in a half of football than I saw the Skins give in the 2nd half.

That’s what makes this team, and this season, so INCREDIBLY frustrating to its fans this year. Instead of fighting for their playoff lives they should be battling Green Bay and Dallas for home-field advantage. I still contend the Skins should be 10-1 or 9-2 at worst! But should be and reality are two different things. Now they are faced with being 5-6 and the proposition of missing the playoffs. I am not yet ready to concede the post season just yet but the task of getting to it admittedly became much, much tougher. Still, they basically control their own destiny and are in much the same position they were in 2005 when they also stood at 5-6 and won 5 straight to get in the playoffs (where they won a first round game). 10-6 gets them in and even 9-7 most likely does.

If they do get in then I like their chances to compete with any of the teams. Their defense is good (great with Taylor) and their offense continues to improve. They just have to do two things: get touchdowns in the red zone instead of field goals and cut out the stupid and self-defeating, crippling mistakes. And speaking of mistakes, Gibbs decision to go for it on 4th and 1 at the Tampa Bay three WAS the right call; the play call itself however was terrible!! With a 6’5” quarterback, and in need of less than a foot, you simply sneak it and have him fall forward. There’s no way you do a handoff that deep in the backfield and that is on Al Saunders, not Joe Gibbs! Today was not a very happy 67th birthday for Joe Gibbs and that sucks but I’m sure he’s used to disappointing performances from this team in the four years he’s been back.

2nd half statistics:

Total yards: Washington 375 Tampa Bay 16
First Downs: Washington 22 Tampa Bay 0

Redskin 2nd half drives:

73 yards (7 points)
65 yards (0 points)
56 yards (3 points)
61 yards (0 points)
77 yards (0 points)

But you can’t dominate like that and not put up points. Especially not after a first half hole created by four fumbles that led to 16 of Tampa Bay’s 19 points (their 5 scoring drives, which included 4 field goals after the defense stepped up, started at the Redskin’s 19, 18, 18, 32 and their own 44. Too much to overcome when you don’t get points yourself. Unfucking believable how frustrating this is—the Skins should be 10-1!!!!!!!!!!

pimpology101 said:
the Skins should be 10-1!!!!!!!!!!

The differences between good teams and so-so teams is a couple of players making a couple of plays in a game. And thats it. Dallas should have lost to Buffalo. But they didn't. A couple of players making a couple of plays and you are 10-1. They don't and you are 5-6. I still say "Skins" go 8-8 and no playoff unless 8 wins gets them in. I thought Buff had a chance to upset in Wash but now I'm not so sure with Wash losing today.

Now on to the second half of a real game tonight. Eagles are fighting for third place in the NFC East.

Norm

And I suppose you'd also tell me that Dallas "won" that game against Buffalo more so than the Bills "lost" it. The numbers, as anyone knows, don't always tell the tale. Granted that's how things are ultimately determined but it's subjective. It's like saying Hawaii, because they're undefeated, is better than two loss LSU. No one believes that no more than I believe the Redskins are a 5-6 team.

And Philly is in the same boat as a shitload of other teams; 5-6 and fighting for the post season. They aren't going to make it with their schedule. The Redskins have a better chance because they can play two of the teams competing for the final spot (Minnesota & Chicago) head to head. Their real challenge will be New Orleans. But if they handle business they'll get in. Having it in their own hands is all they can ask for and they've got that.

There it is Pimp. One player (Samuel) makes a couple of plays (2 interceptions) and that is the difference in the game for the Pats. Sure it simplifies it. It takes away all the numbers, coulda's, shoulda's and woulda's. Eagle fans are crying right now that they would have won that game if they hadn't given it away and the Eagles are a better team than their record suggests. Bottom line is: Good teams make just a couple of more good plays a game than so-so teams. And on average that will make the difference and in the course of a season be reflected in their record.

Put another way Pimp, good teams find a way to win.

And by the way, yes, Dallas did win that game rather than Buffalo losing it. If Buff had fumbled at the end and Dallas scored on it or something than yeah Buff gave it away it. But Dallas went down the field, scored, recovered the onside kick with nine seconds left, went down the field again and made the field goal, (TWICE) and won it. A couple of players making a couple of good plays at the right time and refusing to lose. The difference between a good team and a so-so team. Other than that teams are very even in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's laughable. There are certain things that should never take place in a football game. Letting the kicking team recover an onside kick is one of them. Furthermore.......even John Madden said Buffalo gave the game away and even hinted at a "fix" because of the very dubious decision of the Buffalo coaching staff to play off the sideline routes as that is the only chance Dallas had given they had no timeouts remaining. Buffalo flat gave that game away, Dallas didn't earn it. Dallas has been gift wrapped several of their wins this year (not as offensively as Eli handed the Vikings a win today but given nonetheless).

But it's all irrelevant anyway.....neither Dallas or Washington is going to win the Super Bowl so it's really rather moot.

Remember when the Pats beat the unstoppable St Louis in the Super Bowl. They showed the rest of the league how to beat them and St Louis was never as dominating again. I was thinking of that last night when Maddon mentioned that other teams will "see a blueprint here."

Philly just showed the rest of the league how to beat the Pats. A team with some talent, Indy, Cowboys, Green Bay, will certainly keep last nights game in mind. Pats will have their hands full when they play Pitt now. Too bad in a way. Would have been nice in a way to watch history being made again and the Pats go 19 - 0. But unless Genius Bill changes a few things in his defense, the Pats can be had. The Pats didn't play terrible and Philly didn't play way over their heads. It was just a tremendous game plan by the Eagles.

Of course not everyone has the rushing defense to keep Brady off balance and the receivers that can play the middle and the runner that can keep the Pat defense honest.
But the Cowboys do and Wade Phillips is a defensive minded coach anyway. Should be an interesting playoffs and Super Bowl this year all right.

Washington has the kind of team that can make a tremendous turnaround next year. Anytime you have a top rated defense you are in the game and can win. I would not be shocked if everything went right and they win 10 or 11 next year and get a wild card.

What the hell happened to Eli? Just when he comes out with his new watch commercial about how unstoppable he is. And with his brother Peyton at the game to boot.

Pimp, you can't be too happy seeing the way Minn and Chi played yesterday. Don't you just hate teams that suck all year then get hot and/or lucky their last five games and ruin it for the really good teams that have played well all year?

Parcells said it best..."you are what your'e record says you are" if you fall into trap of looking how a team looks on a given week, you may not see the real picture. the giants arent as bad as they played yesterday, nor or Vikings that good...the Pats had a down game and still won..that is what good teams do. the skins...well there record says it all. getting lots of yards means nothing..frustrating of course to its fans...but turnovers are the most important stat in football...that is proven...they are a mediocre team as are most others in the league...sure Buffalo blew...lost that monday night game to Dallas, but the Cowboys still made the plays they needed too...the plays Buffalo gave them, but they made them and the field goal to win that game..thats what good teams do...after 11 games its pretty apparent there are 3 very good teams ...Boys, Pack, Colts (still winning while they fight threw there injuries), and 1 great one ..Pats....everyone else is a pretender...Cowboys have big advantage due to schedule with game this week against Pack ....that shouold be for home field which is vital..who wants to go to Green Bay in freezing cold (yea dallas may be cold..but not the same).and then they play on turf Farve is a great story this year..having his best year of his career ...There GM did amazing job rebuilding that team, and of course those 2 teams have been blessed with few injuries..the #1 key to going all way in NFL...but there is lot of ball to be played...sure a team could get on a roll and win its last 5 games, its happened before...like Pitssburgh did few years ago...but its rare...As Giants fan, I still hold out hope that they get Bill Cowher next year...but rumors have him going to Carolina where he lives.

I also have to pray Missouri beats OK cause I dont want to see OSU in final game...but that is me.. for me its 90 days till spring training.

Tell ya the truth, its tough to beat a team three times in one season in this league and especially in the NFC East but I have a feeling the "Boys" will face the Giants again this year in the playoffs.

ya ya ya and if your team wins than everything is ok just face it the cowboys won pimp and the other team lost that is the final thing, every game has some good and some bad and even the ump's do some of the good and bad, you know that hogtying thing is getting closer and closer don't you LMAO go COWBOYS ride um hard and put um away wet yeehaaaaaaaa

any team that can limit the Giants pass rush will beat them, and Dallas has done that twice, and will do it again in playoffs. plus romo is prob best QB in league moving and throwing out of the pocket. lots can change if key players go down.

pimp you best say youre prayers for S. Taylor...anytime you have to be airlifted to a hospital it isnt good. God Bless him.

That is horrible about Sean Taylor. Maybe they will unite and band together over this as I have seen that done many times. But football is a secondary thought in comparison to this young man's life. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

And like I said a few weeks ago when everyone counted out the Buckeyes........all that's needed is a Sooner win over Missouri to get a Mountaineer/Buckeye title game. I think that would be one of the better national title games in recent years! Go Boomer Sooner, baby!

OK you better watch out for Green Bay as Bret boy is on a roll and has the hands in the field to catch the balls. I will bet he will retire after this year so he is gonna be damn hard to holddown. The Skins needs a coach I've thought that all along so much about injured plaayers and people hurt and all that stuff a Good Coach pulls the team together they don't let them self destruct. The Skins plane SUCK big time. Hell they will be under 500 this year. Dallas is gonna have to play like all hell to beat GB. Make some points in the first half. It will be a good game but Dallas will win by seven. Now Missouri will win and they better. GO COWBOYS.

Mule, here I thought you were a football fan with some sense. I may have to rethink that now if you don't think Gibbs is a good coach. You can't begin to tell me with a straight face the Redskins aren't a much better football team now than before he took over.

And Oklahoma will beat Mizzou again setting up the Buckeyes against White & Slaton for the crystal football.

And who cares if Dallas beats Green Bay other than starry-eyed Dallas fans? The boys will not win the Super Bowl and I doubt they even get there.

you guys keep fighting..im still hoping for Bill Cowher..lmao Gibbs is a hall of famer but has made many mistakes this year (clock management and others).. I still think they would be stupid to get rid of him and let him go again next year. I cant knock the boys they have scoreboard currently ...if they win sunday they have inside track to the superbowl..home field can be everything. pimp how can you be rooting for OSU when you are a penn state fan? thats like me or mule rooting for ..well the skins..

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowher is more likely to take over the Redskins once Gibbs leaves than he is of taking over for Coughlin in New York. Gibbs has had issues with the clock and replay but that is as much on his "advisors" in the booth as it is on him. One thing you can't argue about is Gibbs rapport with his players. From his first rodeo from 1981 to 1992 to the present day 'Skins, his players, to a man, speak about him with almost a sense of hero worship. The difference is his players in the era of old were men who paid the price. What he's faced with now are prima donnas with huge egos who know nothing about "team" or self-scarifice. He's fighting an uphill (and perhaps losing) battle trying to instill such fortitude in today's athletes.

And as far as how I can root for both Penn State and Ohio State? If you'll remember I said the way I root when the two play depends on who is still alive in the national title picture. Ohio State is still alive so they get my fanship. I will still root ardently for Penn State in their bowl game and again next season. When the Lions visit Columbus I'll be rooting for the team still in the hunt for the crystal football. If both are undefeated, Penn State will get my allegiance.

Speaking of Penn State, if they win their bowl game and FSU loses theirs, Bowden and Paterno will enter next season with 373 wins apiece. Penn State also has 20 of 22 starters back (but so does Ohio State) for 2008.

you can root for whomever you want, i'm just busting you're balls. you live in ohio right? so why not root for them as youre second team. players/coaches rapport is over rated...some task masters (parcells etc) are successful, some players coaches (wade phillips) are too...it still comes down to talent, and the skins arent obviously there yet..remember youre QB is young, limited and inconsistent, youre wide recievers are very inconsistent, if not way overrated, and you dont have depth in areas (OL) where the injuries hit...thats life in NFL....future is good there with Campbell I keep telling you. just not this year. Giants are one of only 4-5 teams i think that have had all starters on the O-line for every game>....but all there running backs have gone down...so they have been hurt bad there.....you need alot of luck in NFL..along with top flight management...If NE , Dallas, Pack... (ck out there injury reports you will see they are 3 of healthiest teams all year) suffers injuries like say Indy has..well any of them can be taken out, otherwise, nobody will touch them. and NE will play another uninspired game before season is over,,and could lose..but it shows how good they are to win last night.

and what happened to that supposed dominated LSU defense...they had been way overrated all season.

as good as Tebow has been..McFadden should win the heisman and White of WVU and Daniel of Missouri should be in running

I know you're just giving me a hard time. Most of the shit-talking in here, mine included, is intended in good natured fun.

But I don't think rapport between player and coach is overated. In fact, T.O's issues with Parcells was a distraction all season long for the Cowboys last year and no doubt affected that team. If Gibbs didn't have the rapport he does with his players they would have folded long ago given the adveristy they've faced this season. I think, even though they are underachieving, that he has kept them together better than anyone else could have. The last five games, with this recent tragedy involving Sean Taylor, will tell that tale to the fullest. Will this splinter them for good and will Gibbs lose their focus or will they rally as a team and a family and become even closer to make the playoff push under Gibbs leadership? It'll be interesting to say the least.

Teams who handle adveristy the best in the NFL are the ones who ultimately win championships (unless they're just a team of destiny and don't face any all season long). New England, Dallas and Green Bay haven't had to face any at all this year. I'll will be curious to see which team handles it best if and when it comes. I think New England, obviously is best prepared to deal with because of their coach and their depth. I think Dallas is least prepared to handle it because of certain personalities on that team and not to mention a coach who lacks the discipline to stem the tide if dissension should start.

If I were able to cast a vote for the Heismann mine would go to McFadden. White would be 2nd and Chase Daniel third. I would even put the wide receiver from Texas Tech (a freshman) in the mix. You can't give a system quarterback whose team has lost 3 games and finished 3rd in their conference the biggest award in college football.

Users who are viewing this thread