• Seems like a lot of people are having an issue logging into chat since we updated. Here is what you need to do: Logout of the chat and forums, clear your cache and cookies. Log back in to the forum, then login to the chat with the same user/pass you use for the forums.

Thread about Sports

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
Though anything is possible in the NFL, I wouldn't count on the Jets beating a pissed off Redskin team. I think after the humiliation to the Patriots the rest of the league is going to see a Redskin team determined to play up to their capabilities--one embarking on a mission and a serious playoff run. Better hope all that dough doesn't make Romo complacent (or lead him to vice and excess like past Cowboys).

Gibbs and his Super Bowl 1/4 backs

I believe had Theisman,Doug Williams and Mark Rypien.

Yep, that's right chickory. A coach who can win rings with those 3 behind center is deserving of the genius label. Gibbs earned it......

Ah hell Gibbs wouldn't of been shit if he'd had coached a team without good talent. When the talent left he seemed to go. He didn't do so good in his next position anyway he is gone and I don't know if he still has the Joe Gibbs racing team going. Hell look at Shula with the players he had and the talent look what he did as a coach but when the talent left he couldn't bring a game together. It takes a coach but if you don't have talent the best coach in the world ain't shit. Then you have talent and no coach in which the Cowboys are there now. Even though Norm likes Phillips I think he isn't much of a leader.

To a man the Redskins under Gibbs weren't the most talented team on the field. Sure they had better than average players at most positions but few true superstars (Riggins, Monk, Manley, Green). That's why it took a coach of Gibb's genius to mold them into a 3 time super bowl winner.

Bum Phillips was the man in Houston (not so much New Orleans) and I loved that old character. Reeves would be a good fit but his health precludes him coaching again I would think.

pimpology101 said:
Though anything is possible in the NFL, I wouldn't count on the Jets beating a pissed off Redskin team. I think after the humiliation to the Patriots the rest of the league is going to see a Redskin team determined to play up to their capabilities--one embarking on a mission and a serious playoff run. Better hope all that dough doesn't make Romo complacent (or lead him to vice and excess like past Cowboys).

Congrats on a well deserved tough win against one of the true mediocre teams in the league. After that game I am convinced that the Skins will be fighting the Eagles for the basement position.

Now on to serious football talk. Even if Dallas loses to the Jints next week, I still think that they will take the division because strength of schedule remaining favors Dallas over the Giants. NY should get a wild card though.

Do you think the two QB's below will still be smiling when they meet again this year?

Attachments

• Dallas-Cowboys-vs-Falcons-6-BWP0KJVHF6-800x600.jpg
    Dallas-Cowboys-vs-Falcons-6-BWP0KJVHF6-800x600.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 42
  • TomBrady (Small).jpg
    TomBrady (Small).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 84
Ah, c'mon, Norm. Just when I thought you were a knowledgable football fan. If you can't see how big a win that was for the Skins then you're just blind.

For starters they were demoralized and humiliated coming off that loss at New England. Their psyches were damaged. Then they come out and give up a touchdown on the opening kick-off. Before they know it they are down 17-3 on the road against a team playing for pride and energized by a quarterback change (and a team that isn't nearly as bad as their record would lead you to believe). So how do they respond? They come back from a 17-3 defecit in a hostile environment, they get the running game in high gear and the defense stones them from increasing the lead.

On a day where Portis rushes for 196 yards and the team rushes for 280, that is very, very encouraging. Portis would be the running back story of yesterday if it hadn't been for Peterson's record-setting day. And while I am still concerned about having to settle for field goals instead of getting touchdowns and the Skins being ultra conservative in the play-calling (no passes downfield to stretch the defense), their response to last week as well as opening adversity showed me some real moxy on this team. If they line continues to get healthier and the running game goes as it did yesterday and Saunders finally lets Campbell loose? Shit, look out NFC East!

Norm I'm not even go to say a thing about that high power Skins game against the Jets. Hell the Jets must be a better team then I thought or is it the Skins are a worst team then I thought maybe both. Go Boys

The Boys made short work of da 'Iggles

muleman said:
Norm I'm not even go to say a thing about that high power Skins game against the Jets. Hell the Jets must be a better team then I thought or is it the Skins are a worst team then I thought maybe both. Go Boys

The Eagles didn't show up to play at all.

I am so disappointed.

It's still the NFL and anytime you can run the ball 48 times for 296 yards (6.2 a pop) then you're dominating the line of scrimmage. Not like it's Ohio State playing the lowly Iowa Hawkettes.

whew, The Eagles are killing me. It's hard to believe they drop so low so fast but the season's only half over. I'm hoping Andy will wake the fuck up the dump the stiff McNabb. He killing the team. Holding the ball too long and won' t throw it unlesss the recievers are wide open. He locks in on the reciever tipping the defense where he's throwing.

I still chat to Kdawg from time to time. He asked me to post this and please, tell me what you think so I can report back to him:)

Kdawg68 said:
It's my first ever youtube video. My tribute to my favorite horse
of all time, 2007 Breeder's Cup Champ and Horse of the Year - Curlin.

Feel free to post the link to this in the sports thread at the DC. I got
several PMs from folks who were into racing. It's my first video and I'd love
to get feedback from folks.

Kdawg68

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOB_tmi_MeA

OK, lets get way ahead of ourselves. Steelers play at New England and Pats play at the Ravens. I figure those will be the last two tough games for the Pats. Now here's the question.

You are 15 - 0 and you are already guaranteed home field throughout the playoffs. Do you sit your regulars for three quarters or even the whole game, no matter what and not get them hurt and let them heal what hurts they already have? Or do you go for the perfect season? Remember, it don't mean a thing if you don't win the Superbowl.

Of course the players will want to play and win that last one. But a boxer doesn't know when to stop either. Do you hope to get a big lead early and then sit them down hoping nobody gets hurt?

I would go for 16 - 0

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bellechick is a different breed and will go for it if it is within reach. I'd not count out the Giants entirely (not with their pass rush) in week 17. They probably can't beat the Patriots but could make it interesting.

pimpology101 said:
I think Bellechick is a different breed and will go for it if it is within reach. I'd not count out the Giants entirely (not with their pass rush) in week 17. They probably can't beat the Patriots but could make it interesting.

Come to think of it I think Bill is a history buff and so would have to realize the historical accomplishment that 16 - 0 would be. Still, if you can increase your chances of winning the SuperBowl by sitting your regulars......You take a guy like Landry was. He wouldn't hesitate to sit them. Lombardi would go for it though I'm sure. Parcells, I don't know. What about Gibbs Pimp, would he go for it?

Giants have gotten tough all of a sudden. What the hell is going on over there anyway? Now the players love Coughlin? They were ready to mutiny last year.

And that Farve is playing like a kid. Pack is what now? 7 - 1? They could be a tough team in the playoffs, especially if its in Green Bay.

Should be a very interesting second half of the season.

Norm

Gibbs was and is the kind of a coach that he would not jeopardize his team's chances of winning the Super Bowl for love nor money. If that meant resting his players so they could nurse injuries or be fresh for the playoffs and sacrificing 16-0 in the process than so be it. Just look at 1991 when the Skins were 11-0 and setting a then NFL record for points. He rested a few guys as early as week 12 and they lost to Dallas 24-21. They were 17-2 that season and the two losses were a combined 5 points. 24-21 to Dallas in week 12 and to Philly 24-22 in the last game of the season.

I play the weekly college football prediction contest in my local newspaper. Through ten weeks of the season I am 78-22 on my picks and have won the contest 6 times. The weekly winner gets $25.00. At the end of the season the overall winner receives 500 bucks. Two guys are right on my heels at 76-24. The tie-breaker, should people get the same amount of picks right, is determined by picking the score of the 10th game. I have been within 5 points of the exact score of the tie-break game EVERY week!! This week’s games are listed below with my picks in parenthesis:

1) Illinois @ Ohio State (Ohio State)
2) Auburn @ Georgia (Georgia)
3) Indiana @ Northwestern (Indiana)
4) Michigan @ Wisconsin (Michigan)
5) Kansas @ Oklahoma State (Oklahoma State)
6) Florida @ South Carolina (Florida)
7) Connecticut @ Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
8) North Carolina @ North Carolina State (NC State)
9) Virginia @ Miami (Fl) (Miami)
10) Wake Forest @ Clemson (Clemson) tiebreaker score: Clemson 31, Wake Forest 20

The games that concern me the most are #2, 3 and 4. Auburn’s been playing very well lately and Georgia is wildly inconsistent. Still, with Knowshon Moreno, the SEC title in their sights and the game being between the hedges, I am taking the Bulldogs. Indiana and Northwestern is a toss-up. But I am hoping that the third try to become bowl eligible will be enough for the Hoosiers and that they will play with Terry Hoepnerr’s legacy in mind. Wisconsin is an enigma. They are at home. Will PJ Hill play? Can they make Michigan one-dimensional by stopping Michael Hart? Will they lose 2 in a row? Will Brett Beilema have them ready to go? Man, this one is tough. But with the Buckeyes looming at the Big House the week after and the Big 10 title on the line, I’m counting on the Wolverines not having a slip-up. The North Carolina/North Carolina State game concerns me a little also. The Tar Heels are coming off a big upset of Maryland and Butch Davis is a proven college coach. Anything can happen in a rivalry game. But Tom O’Brien is a good coach also and the Wolfpack’s at home so……..

And The Cowboys over the Jayhawks is my upset pick of the week. I’m not yet completely sold on Mark Mangini’s team and Oklahoma State had high expectations at the start of the season. They have a prolific offense and the game is in Stillwater.

I haven’t mailed the picks in yet and won’t until the morning. What do you guys think? Am I on target or off base? I tend to trust my own instincts (why wouldn’t I at 78-22?) but your feedback will be considered and is appreciated……..

SaltandPepper98 said:
Come to think of it I think Bill is a history buff and so would have to realize the historical accomplishment that 16 - 0 would be. Still, if you can increase your chances of winning the SuperBowl by sitting your regulars......You take a guy like Landry was. He wouldn't hesitate to sit them. Lombardi would go for it though I'm sure. Parcells, I don't know. What about Gibbs Pimp, would he go for it?

Giants have gotten tough all of a sudden. What the hell is going on over there anyway? Now the players love Coughlin? They were ready to mutiny last year.

And that Farve is playing like a kid. Pack is what now? 7 - 1? They could be a tough team in the playoffs, especially if its in Green Bay.

Should be a very interesting second half of the season.

Norm
Norm this is what is gonna happen. The Giants can and will get tough as hell they will end up fighting for first place with the Boys in the Eastern the skins are gonna be fighting the eagles for that spot anything is up the skins are slidding and it don't make any diff what Pimp says about yards. Green Bay can come on real strong but Bret won't be able to pull it together. Them damn NE boys I can't strand that coach I wish the Colts would of beat their ass. So we have to keep Romo away from Brittney Spears and keep his head on the game instead of pussy and they have to start putting points on the board in the first quarter but they are young they can do it. Black Dom sorry about the Eagles I do like them instead of that damn political redskin team.

Users who are viewing this thread