Institutional racism at Wales' main asylum centre

• Thread starterWifeLuver
  • Start date
English the victims of racism in Wales

Anti-racism campaigners in Wales have warned of an upsurge in discrimination against an ethnic minority in the Valleys: the English. Field workers around Swansea fear that a traditional rivalry between the Welsh and the English is turning into institutional anti-Englishness. Naz Malik, chairman of the Swansea Bay Racial Equality Council, said English people were making more complaints about discrimination than more usual victims of prejudice such as Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Afro-Caribbeans.

Staff at the council have also received complaints from three officials at a South Wales local authority who felt their careers were being held back because they could not speak Welsh. Mr Malik said he believes the complaints, including two cases of alleged discrimination at BBC Wales, fit into a pattern that needs to be tackled if anti-English feeling is not to become a permanent race issue.

He said: "Racism can be as much about white people as any other ethnic grouping and it is devastating for those who are targeted. Devolution has brought a definite increase in anti-English behaviour, which needs to be recognised and stamped out immediately."

He added: "We have received approaches from three women who work for a local authority and felt they were being prevented from progressing in their jobs because they didn't speak Welsh. Where it is advantageous for a council officer to speak Welsh, then that must be presented as a training need and not an excuse to discriminate."

Source: The Independent

Using Wikipedia as a source - now you really are losing it.

I don't understand why you seem on a rant of anti something that even you aren't sure of.

Are you accusing English, British or United Kingdom residents of being racist? What is your point? You pick up single points and isolated incidents, in this case two individuals comments that may or may not have been correctly reported, and then use those points as a generic argument against a whole set of people. I hate to inform you, but that makes YOU the racist, in every court of law. Be careful, your true colours are begining to show

Dont you have a voice of your own? We can all google 'racism in the uk' and then just not read any argument against it....you dont have to do it for us.

I'm mixed race, Welsh and English! More English than Welsh but that's by the by, I appreciate all parts of my heritage and have been down to the valley in South Wales where my grandfather grew up. What happens in Wales also happens in certain shops in England. You go into Wales and in certain places they speak Welsh when they see newcomers and until you let on in Welsh to them you're shunned. It's more blatant in England - Asian shop keepers start talking their own language and give you short shrift in some places. Then you wonder why the English feel xenophobic.

The blacks (African and West Indian), the Chinese and plenty of other races have integrated just fine. There has never been any real integration between a certain streak of Welsh nationalists and the English and there has never been any integration between a certain streak of Asian immigrants and the English. Then people wonder why there's tension and race riots and BNP popularity in places like Bradford, Burnley and Oldham.

England's becoming a great place to live so long as you're not English.

_Mark_ said:
It's more blatant in England - Asian shop keepers start talking their own language and give you short shrift in some places. Then you wonder why the English feel xenophobic.

I have to admit that the more I live in the UK, the more I feel unwelcome. A multitude of Asian Brits have abused me on many occasions for being part Black.

_Mark_ said:
Everything's racism when you don't understand isn't it?

Were the white Zimbabweans given a fair crack under Mugabe or were they fucked over? Ethnic cleansing is alive and well 8 years on:
Robert Mugabe closes in on last white farmers - Times Online

If Mugabe was really ethnicly cleansing, surely the British and American governments would deal with it militarily, just like they did when the poor Moslems were being ethnically cleansed in Bosnia around 10 years ago.

_Mark_ said:
I'm mixed race, Welsh and English! More English than Welsh but that's by the by, I appreciate all parts of my heritage and have been down to the valley in South Wales where my grandfather grew up. What happens in Wales also happens in certain shops in England. You go into Wales and in certain places they speak Welsh when they see newcomers and until you let on in Welsh to them you're shunned. It's more blatant in England - Asian shop keepers start talking their own language and give you short shrift in some places. Then you wonder why the English feel xenophobic.

The blacks (African and West Indian), the Chinese and plenty of other races have integrated just fine. There has never been any real integration between a certain streak of Welsh nationalists and the English and there has never been any integration between a certain streak of Asian immigrants and the English. Then people wonder why there's tension and race riots and BNP popularity in places like Bradford, Burnley and Oldham.

Regarding your comments about problems with integration.First off, let me say that i believe that foreign nationals should only nowadays be coming to the UK if they are filling a skill shortage or are genuinely in peril within their homeland,thats where i stand.Ok that being said, i have to point out that within any group of human beings you will always find some folks who are able to let nastiness,in this case for arguments sake in the form of rascism,to wash over them,and are able to progress and prosper within a society.The flip side to that coin are those people for whom rascist comments fill them with an all consuming hatred,and as such they struggle to overcome the troubles associated with integrating into another society.Two different natures, producing two different responses,and you would find those different responses in any race that was being subjected to rascism,they are human responses to be found right throughout our species,they are not commonplace to any particular skin colour or culture.The crime of course is that any such rascist comments should be made in the first place,or rather, that any human being should be faced with the choice of rising above such comments in order to swim,or fight such comments and sink.Its laughable that in a world full of arrogance,greed and cruelty,that some people still find skin colour as a reason to dislike.
On the more general subject of rascism,and whether it will ever be completely eradicated from the UK.It would be nice to believe such a world could exist,and as a younger man i believed it to be possible,nowadays however i know its an unattainable dream because rascism is a bedfellow of insecurity.For instance, if it was possible to freeze the racial complexion of the United Kingdom exactly as it stands today,and to return in say a century,without there being any further influx's of folks from foreign lands,then i have no doubt whatsoever that racism would have disappeared entirely,once several generations of different races had played together as children,been schooled together,set out on their working lives together and so forth,there would take place a blending of thoughts and ambitions,and familiarity breeds security,love and affection.Return in a century with things carrying on exactly as they are today, and rascism would still be with us,its focus would have simply changed to the latest group of immigrants to enter the UK,because strangers install in human beings a feeling of insecurity,and because of that insecurity, the first line of defence is rascism.Its impossible to purge a society completely of rascism when that society,as is the case with the UK,regards itself as having a duty to take care of foreign nationals in peril.No society can have tried to rid itself of rascism in quite the same way as the UK has.
The one consolation to any person that suffers rascist comments is the fact that rascists are ill at ease within themselves

Yep. Monkey chants disappeared from the football terraces of England in the late 80s yet Shaun Wright-Philips and others were chanted at in Spain last year. These days, though, I'm not sure whether it's tolerance, apathy or fear of saying anything constructive for being branded a racist by the PC brigade. That's 13 years of labour government for you!

At the risk of sounding like Wifeluver (who is fast begining to get on my wick), Political Correctness is not down to a Labour Government I'm afraid as it was well established during Maggie Thatcher.

mhall said:
At the risk of sounding like Wifeluver (who is fast begining to get on my wick), Political Correctness is not down to a Labour Government I'm afraid as it was well established during Maggie Thatcher.

It actually started as a New Left idea in the 60s. I was simply saying that it has flourished under the current Labour tenure.

mhall said:

I'd like to hear of one single solitary example of Margaret Thatchers so called political correctness,she detested those anally retented PC arseholes

Thatcher once said that politician Enoch Powell was 'despicable' for wanting a state for the British people and not wanting to allow foreign people to just 'invade' etc.

I've liked her ever since.

blackcocklover29 said:
Thatcher once said that politician Enoch Powell was 'despicable' for wanting a state for the British people and not wanting to allow foreign people to just 'invade' etc.

I've liked her ever since.

Your ignorance continues. Enoch Powell never wanted that. He wanted CONTROL over immigration and was more than happy to welcome all as long as they contributed to society. What he spoke against was the uncontrolled immigration of people who, on balance, gave a negative input to society. Exactly what almost every politician since 2000 has been demanding

necoule said:
I'd like to hear of one single solitary example of Margaret Thatchers so called political correctness,she detested those anally retented PC arseholes

If you actually study the controls and employment reforms that she bought in while she was smashing the unions, you would discover the basis of all our pc employment terms now in place

mhall said:
If you actually study the controls and employment reforms that she bought in while she was smashing the unions, you would discover the basis of all our pc employment terms now in place

Well i'm glad your with me in that taking on the unions was a correct political decision for the time lol.

Hmmm,i'm not sure that we have the same understanding of the pc term.My understanding of political correctness as it is used in common language is of a situation where politicians make morality their primary consideration in all of their decisions,and in particular in those everyday mundane issues where it is given priority over common sense,practicalityand the desires of the electors.Margaret Thatcher doesn't sit right in amongst that

_Mark_ said:
Hmmm, yes, Zimbabwe was a shining example of racial integration.

Also, "want to help out our nation"? How, by getting my taxes increased to pay for more freeloaders over and above the natives and the ones already here? No problem with people coming here to fill skills gaps but if they're here because we're a soft touch, that's out of order.
Frankly, it would not be unreasonable if every single white person in Zimbabwe was killed at the hands of black people. For what the whites did in Zimbabwe was an act of WAR. If a man comes into your home and robs and rapes everyone in your home and then uses what's in your home to build his own empire. I don't think that person can complain about the tactics that you used to get your home back. I believe in what Malcolm X said "Africa was taken buy the white man in blood and so it MUST be returned in BLOOD"

A lot of black people can forgive white people...I CANNOT. I think that black people have been more than forgiving for all the atrocities that we have had to suffer. We forgave slavery, the loss of our history, ancestry, language, religion and peace of mind. We then forgave Jim Crow, segregation, racism, discrimination, and the Klan. How much forgiving do we have to do before we say enough is enough ?

necoule said:
I dont know much about the UK politics but I always admired Thatcher . She expressed her ideas and thoughts plain simple and to the point and had a set of nuts that most men in politics in this Country dont have. Here the men in politics are easily bought out by passing some pork barrel agenda for a vote. Thatcher she would stand her ground and when she spoke they listened. I said she would of made a good president for the USA hell I would of voted for her I always liked her and thought she was great. I also liked Blair but Brown not so much. My thoughts oh and Charles really ought to do something with that wifes looks she must be a hell of a lay Warren.

sobers said:
Frankly, it would not be unreasonable if every single white person in Zimbabwe was killed at the hands of black people. For what the whites did in Zimbabwe was an act of WAR. If a man comes into your home and robs and rapes everyone in your home and then uses what's in your home to build his own empire. I don't think that person can complain about the tactics that you used to get your home back. I believe in what Malcolm X said "Africa was taken buy the white man in blood and so it MUST be returned in BLOOD"

A lot of black people can forgive white people...I CANNOT. I think that black people have been more than forgiving for all the atrocities that we have had to suffer. We forgave slavery, the loss of our history, ancestry, language, religion and peace of mind. We then forgave Jim Crow, segregation, racism, discrimination, and the Klan. How much forgiving do we have to do before we say enough is enough ?

Chill out Farrakhan.

I guess this cinches it. Every post of yours is about as arousing as an infected, bloated, stinky whale carcass. You do know you are on a sex board, yeah?

eldoctor said:
I guess this cinches it. Every post of yours is about as arousing as an infected, bloated, stinky whale carcass. You do know you are on a sex board, yeah?
Technically speaking, this is called "Off-Topic" which means any topic that is not about sex. Secondly your tactic of attacking the messenger, not the message is as old as moses. You discredit the messenger, therefore his message will be discredited. It's a tactic that is used in election campaigns the world over, but you probabaly think it's smart. If I had a lower IQ I could probably enjoy having a conversation with you.