this thread is about FOOTBALL

• Thread starterPooch
  • Start date
I'll put a c note on the Skins if the line stays at seven. I also have the Texans as my upset pick this week, Pooch. See, we finally agree on something!

you make good points on Labron (I know you arent biased in the least in youre opinioins lol which is cool and understandable). Kobe did play far more team ball than the media would make you believe pimp, and trust me he had less talent than the cavs to work with in a much tougher conference. I am a subway series fan ..yanks first then mets if i have to make choice. Shilling will stay around to amass stats cause he wants to make the hall of fame, and is close now. why dont you root for the Indians? Travis Haffner is an animal (he been hurt all year). One thing i do do when i travel is try to catch all the new ball parks. The Jake was one of my favorite, Ketchup field in Pitts is awesome, as is the great american little league park in cinci. The big red machine had best everyday lineup in history in my opinion (not pitching staff although it was very solid top to bottom) so I cant rate them number 1 team of all time. Bench and Joe Morgan, I both consider to be best at all time at their respective positions. Concepcion deserves to be in HOF (so my pops used to say to me) too but never got any consideration, least they retired his number few weeks ago. My Granfather was at the Mets/Reds playooff game where Rose got in fight with Bud Harrelson. I was drafted by Reds out of HS, but didnt sign for the wopping 25K bonus i was offered as a prospect/ suspect, so the reds have special place in my heart. Boston will take the division but Yanks are in as WC. I like the Angels-Mets WS with Angels taking it, but of course i have to root for the "evil empire!"

Given that I don’t care much for the NBA I can’t see as how I’m too biased. I just try to go by the statistical fact and what I see. If LeBron perfects his outside shot then there will be no stopping him. As it is, when he decides to go to the rim no one can stop him now. I don’t know as Kobe had a less talented team but it certainly wasn’t a good one. Still, I’d take Lamar Odom, Luke Walton and even Smush Parker over some of the Cavs retreads (especially Larry Hughes). I concede the West being the far tougher conference; that’s a no-brainer!

I hate the Yankess with a burning passion. Of all the teams I loathe (Wolverqueens, Hurri(co)canes, Puke Blow Devils and San Fransissyco 69ers), I may hate them the most. No. That’s not true. Was and always will be Michigan first and probably Puke after that. Schilling will get the hall of fame nod but I hope he doesn’t stay too long and accrue a couple of bad seasons before he calls it quits.

The gobbler (Concepcion) was Ozzie Smith before there was an Ozzie Smith and does indeed belong in Cooperstown (just like Monk deserves to be in Canton). I don’t think the Angels have the bats to win. Good pitching beats good hitting so imagine what it will do to poor hitting. I was also drafted by the Reds by my local hometown scout Gene Bennet who recently retired as the head of Cincinnati scouting. Small world, Pimp. We have more in common than we know.

By the way, I do root for the Tribe. I liked them better in the mid to late 90's when they had my 2nd favorite player ever (Thome). But this year's team is a real contender because they have the best starting rotation in baseball, a good bullpen (though Borowski makes me nervous) and a capable offense.

im too young to have really seen much of big red machine in person ok i didnt see them at all but only on film (classic sports espn) but my pops told me how good he was overall d, hitting, speed. Just for D, my pops told me nobody was better than Aparicio, but Bowa and Belanger were equal if not better, but not nearly all around player concepcion was. he has no chance at HOF cause his offensive numbers now pale in comparison to todays players, and that skews it all. and it was fun to catch another Red Sox melt down last night. The Angels pitching staff is deepest top to bottom, Indians have 2 dominant starters and fine bullpen. fyi, Walton and Odom were hurt much of the year and smush parker well he is below average pt. guard at best. Hughes is good but played hurt much of year and missed playoffs, if they had him, Labron def woulnt have been swept in finals. Cant argue against that man child! You mean you Albert Bell wasnt youre hero? lol there was another HOF talent who blew it, kinda like say Darrell Strawberry/Dwight Gooden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in that era and Larry Bowa couldn’t hold Concepcion’s jock defensively. Then again, not many could. He had the best range and the best arm by far during the 70’s to the mid 80’s. A lifetime .281 hitter isn’t bad. He deserves inclusion on his defensive merits alone. Listen to Joe Morgan since you have such high regard for him; he says Concepcion was the best clutch hitter on the team and one of the 5 best defensive shortstops of all time.

The Angels only have two top notch starters themselves, and Byrd and Westbrook trump their 3 and 4. Papelbon is entitled to a blown save once in a blue moon. The Sawx will win the next two and still win the division but need Manny back soon.

Larry Hughes is the most overrated waste of a contract ever signed. Even when healthy he couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean from the pier. Albert Belle was an awesome talent but one of the nastiest people and biggest assholes around. Even Thome’s positive influence couldn’t rub off on him!

Football weekend; Go Lions, Go Bucks, Hail to the Skins!!!

How 'bout them Nittany Lions?!!?

How 'bout them Buckeyes?!!?

How 'bout them SAWX?!!?

How bout them Phillies. They beat the Mets today for the 7th straight and making a move at the right time . Pimp . I don't agree with you oopinion on Bowa compared to Conception. Bowa had a arm as good as any shortstop and In a foot race he's leave Davie in the dust.

NBA (Non Basketball Association)

pimpology101 said:
Given that I don’t care much for the NBA I can’t see as how I’m too biased. I just try to go by the statistical fact and what I see. If LeBron perfects his outside shot then there will be no stopping him. As it is, when he decides to go to the rim no one can stop him now. I don’t know as Kobe had a less talented team but it certainly wasn’t a good one. Still, I’d take Lamar Odom, Luke Walton and even Smush Parker over some of the Cavs retreads (especially Larry Hughes). I concede the West being the far tougher conference; that’s a no-brainer!

I hate the Yankess with a burning passion. Of all the teams I loathe (Wolverqueens, Hurri(co)canes, Puke Blow Devils and San Fransissyco 69ers), I may hate them the most. No. That’s not true. Was and always will be Michigan first and probably Puke after that. Schilling will get the hall of fame nod but I hope he doesn’t stay too long and accrue a couple of bad seasons before he calls it quits.

The gobbler (Concepcion) was Ozzie Smith before there was an Ozzie Smith and does indeed belong in Cooperstown (just like Monk deserves to be in Canton). I don’t think the Angels have the bats to win. Good pitching beats good hitting so imagine what it will do to poor hitting. I was also drafted by the Reds by my local hometown scout Gene Bennet who recently retired as the head of Cincinnati scouting. Small world, Pimp. We have more in common than we know.

By the way, I do root for the Tribe. I liked them better in the mid to late 90's when they had my 2nd favorite player ever (Thome). But this year's team is a real contender because they have the best starting rotation in baseball, a good bullpen (though Borowski makes me nervous) and a capable offense.

The NBA is no longer basketball as it once was back in the day. I can make a team of players from the 70's and early 80's of the NBA and go undefeated through to the championship in today's NBA anytime any day. Give me Maravich, Bird, Chamberlain, McAdoo and Walt Frazier and I can beat any of today's teams hands down including a so-called All-Star team of today. The NBA is not basketball now. It is one-on-one, no legal defense (just mugging each other), if they called fouls as they should then non one would be left in the game after the first quarter. The league sucks! It is time for the old ABA to return, if some of you youngsters remember that.

You're kidding me, right? Bowa had a decent arm but Concepcion was the best in baseball at the shortstop position. Bowa had nowhere near the range Concepcion did either. Bowa couldn't hit his weight either. Now, don't get me wrong.....I actually like Bowa but as Sparky Anderson once said about comparison's to Johnny Bench: don't compare anybody to Johnny Bench cause all you're gonna do is embarrass the other guy." The same holds true in a comparison between Bowa and Concepcion.

I hope the Phillies can catch the Mets or at least get the wildcard since they have been the hardest luck team in baseball the last 3 or 4 years. The thing with them is they will sweep the Mets and then go drop 3 of 4 to the freakin' Marlins.

Conceptcion was no Babe Ruth either. Being a Phillies fan I've seen lots of Bowa and he could go deep in the hole as well as any and make make the throw to first.

Pimp ole buddy. Don't be to hastyto dump any wampam on the Redskins. I know they're your team and you love them but it's not wise to bet with your heart. I love to put action on NFL games and I'll do plenty of that when I'm in vegas but I avoid betting on Eagles games since I'm biased toward them . I hope that c note you spoke about is monopely money...lol

I don't bet with my heart, never do. I've won the weekly contest in our local paper the first three weeks in a row ($25 dollar prize for picking 10 college games). So far I'm 29-1 and the only game I've missed the first three weeks was Louisville and Kentucky tonight. I won by picking the tiebreaker last week (closest to actual score) and I picked Ohio University over Louisianna Lafayette 31-21. The actual score was 31-23. I seem to know what I'm doing. I pick the Skins because they have a dominant defense, a better running game and because McNabb is a shell of his former self and is no longer able to hurt teams with his legs. If Campbell can merely manage the game and avoid the big mistake.......Skins 24 Eagles 10.

And Concepcion was no Ruth but still hit for more power than Larry. There's just no comparison. If there was then it would be Bowa with all those gold gloves that Concepcion has (Concepcion has 4 to Bowa's 1). ;)

i only mentioned bowa (and belanger) in comparison for defense only. Of the 3belanger was prob the best defender, but Concepcion clearly was the better all around player with his bat and speed (although bowa had speed too). I never saw them play, only on tape, I go by what my father and others have told me, and what i read. Pudge Rodriguez can be compared to Bench both defenisively and offensively, but what i have seen Bench would be my choice. He retired so young, so his career offensive totals dont compare to Pudge's. Seems to me that Tony Perez was the most clutch RBI bat on that red machine. I called the Texans right on, they are for real, and will have the real test next week when they Indy at home. "And for the 1st pic of the 2008 NFL Draft, the NY Giants draft Dorsey (LSU) (I'd be happy with McFadden (Ark) too)" and coached by Cower. Hell I would trade the pic just to get Cower. I'm not asking for too much am I? Least I can follow the now exciting and rising Texans. Congrats to youre guy thome for his 500 HR today, and his inclusion to the HOF in the future.

Having grown up in that era and having watched them all play, I don't think any of them had the range or arm that Concepcion did. He was an above average hitter also. Just below him, on the second tier, would be guys like Bert Campenaris, Mark Belanger and Larry Bowa.

I don't know how you can compare Pudge to Bench......ask anyone who have seen both play and it's a one-sided affair in Bench's favor. He had a far higher percentage of throwing out base runners, perfected the sweep tag and those are only two reasons he's unanimously considered the best catcher of all-time. A two-time MVP who finished with 389 homers and 1,376 rbi in a 16 year career clearly puts him above Pudge offensively too. Other great catchers (Fisk, Carter, Ted Simmons, Gary Carter, Mike Piazza) had fair offensive and defensive skills but none quite matched the little general in overall game.

I also picked the Texans and with Shaub, Ahman Green and Johnson they have the offensive weapons to now compliment what has always been a decent defense. They could well challenge for a playoff berth---especially if Cincinnati doesn't waive all 11 defensive starters and fire the coordinator tonight!

Gonna be a tough year for your G-men, Pooch. McFadden would be a great choice for them. I'd like to see the Skins get Dorsey but it's unlikely and next to impossible if they are as successful this season as I think they'll be. It's Skins and Gmen next week, Pooch! And I wasn't too impressed with Dallas today. Not at all.

Yep, Thome became the latest member of the 500 club and the only player to hit a walk off home run for the milestone. I think he deserves being inducted int to the hall although they debated that issue on Baseball Tonight.

GO SAWX, finish off the Yankmees tonight!!!

i agree concep was best all around but belanger played on grass the others had advantage of turf, they all had outstanding range and made all plays you have to be kidding not to put Pudge in the discussion with bench. Gary Carter only other close all around, but far behind, Fisk was really good but he wasnt the arm or the bat, healthy Munson was better than Fisk. Personally I dont think Thome should be auto in on just the 500, but he does have alot of rbis..not exactly outstanding defensively...He has never been the best first baseman in the league in any year he has played, but he will get in, plus he should get to 600. Also, you got to be desperate (and they didnt fall that far did they) to be that excited by beating up on Buffalo ..hell they scored 24 on you..you dont hear me pimping on Rutgers beating the powerhouse Norfolk State 59-0, that is a joke (although for us its still a major achievement!)...Ohio State had a very impressive win..that is what a solid big time program does when it retools (pay attention ND) USC was dominant, and I would say Florida made a statement that they plan to do what there basketball team did and repeat. and how bout those dukies ending the longest losing streak at 22 i was hoping it was gonna be in tact when they face a winless ND team at the end of the season. i can still dream about bill cowher, and hell rutgers too i guess. good luck to the skins and eagles, may they battle to a tie...lmao

damn i just saw the college rankings..what a joke..texas is ranked 7 and wisconsin 9...texas has looked poor barely beat the team that now has the longest losing streak in college, after barely beating another scrub the first week, and struggling to beat a decent TCU..Wisconsin...yea they were tied 31-31 to Citadel at halftime... Citadel.. !!!!!!!!...and WVU 5 they havent exactly beaten anybody good and have given up alot of pts...The polls are a joke especially having one at beginning of season screwing it all up now.

Grass was a help, not a hindrance. Playing on turf was harder because it sped the ball up and took crazier bounces. Which is a factor that allowed Concepcion to improve and increase his range.

I would not compare Pudge to Bench because, as Sparky said, you're just embarrassing the other guy and that includes Pudge. Just look at the percentage of base stealers caught between Bench and Pudge. Pudge also isn;t the offensive force Bench was in terms of power or rbis. He hit for a higher average but that's it. Pudge is a great catcher no doubt but there are NONE in Johnny Bench's class.

I was glad to see Penn State move up to the top ten. I think they are better than 3 teams ahead of them (Texas, OSU and Wisconsin) but not the others. Even I admit they aren't in the same class as LSU (my #1) and USC. I just hope they handle business in the Big House on Saturday! I think your Rutgers team is worthy of being in the top 12 or 15. But the newest addition to the top 25 is legit! UK, under Rich Brooks, might finally become a dual threat school (basketball & football). They have the best quarterback in the country too!

Some other random thoughts:

Tonight's Sawx/Yankmees game was too good for neither Schilling nor Clemens to get a win.

Is it too early to give the Spytriots the Lombardi trophy?

Bengals defense isn't as good as LSU's, USC's, Penn State's or Ohio State's; not when you make Derek Anderson look like Joe Montana, give up 215 yards to Jamal Lewis and allow TWO one-hundred yard receivers!

I think Jim Thome was actually a better 3rd baseman than he was a first baseman.

Pooch's poor Gmen will be 0-3 after next week.

Redskins 24, Eagles 10

Good to see Lindsay Davenport playing tennis again!

My A.L. Cy Young winner: CC Sabathia (runner-up Josh Beckett)

My NL Cy Young winner: Jake Peavy (runner-up Aaron Harang)

My AL MVP: Arod (runner up Magglio Ordonez or Mike Lowell)

My NL MVP: Jose Reyes (runner-up Prince Felder or Eric Byrnes)

AL comeback player of the year: Jim Thome
NL comeback player of the year: Ken Griffey, Jr.

By now, we all know the scores of Saturday in the Big Tenless. I think that anyone with a brain would understand that the Big Tenless truly sucks! There was a lot of evidence that this conference truly sucks but to top it off an ACC team beats Northwestern. An ACC team, in Duke, wins AT Northwestern. A Duke team who has not won in about 3 years! The Big Tenless is worthless. They suck! Wow, Michigan beats Notre Dame 38-0, a battle of the has beens! Wow, was that entertaining!
Pimp, if you think that the Deadskins will score 24 points against the Eagles then you need to be arrested for what you are smoking there little guy. I will be back tomorrow night to comment on this one.
STEELERS 26 HAPLESS BUFFALO 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE US A TEAM WHO WILL BE A CHALLENGE?????????

Also, if there is anyone out there who is still a dumbass supporter of O.J. Simpson then you can buy some beach front property in Nebraska from me, ok? What a fucking guilty ass murderer piece of shit this nigger is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Execute the son-of-a-bitch already!
There are white people, there are black people then there are NIGGERS of both races!

Steelers fan..you look good in 2 dominant wins against bad teams, lets see when they play a good team, then we see where they are, but you should be excited. Id venture to say the Pats and Colts would give them a game. Ck out my thread on OJ..and yes some idiot did even support him still. AL Cy Young..Beckett likely won it on Sat. (CC has been outstanding..the 2nd best pitcher on his team even) . NL Cy YOung Peavy easy...NL MVP..this is very close anyway you look at it, and have to wait till season ends..but I would go...Fielder, Holliday, Rollins, Utley, Wright....(reyes had great year but prob this year only 3-4th best ss in his division...ck out Hanley Ramirez and Renteria.....AL...Arod, Ordonez (incredible year), Posada /Lowell tie, V. Martinez Tribe 5th. Clemens was awesome Shilling was great but he ran up against the greatest clutch player i have ever seen..Jeter! Also Pimp, I cant find stats on throwing runners out for Bench, but for much of PUdge career he had been in 40-45% range, well above his peers, Nobody ran on him early in his career for sure, and he is still above average. If you look at his overall numbers, batting averarage, extra base hits, and being clutch, Pudge certainly is very comparable to Bench. The sweep tag? you think Bench invented that? Nobody better at snap throw to first base ever than Pudge but Bench is best i give it to you, but Pudge can be in any conversation anytime, unless of course you want to nail him for doing steroids.

have to respect phils and there Manager for winning with such lousy starting pitching mets like the red sox have been coasting. while yanks and phils have been fighting every game like its there last. if phils didnt get off to such horrible start they would have WC wrapped up. Rollins and Utley will cancel each other for MVP, but both more than worthy. I do think Eagles will squeek one out tonight but im just saying that to get a rise out of pimp..actually i do think that, i would go with home team, better QB, and dont think eagles will go 0-2. Kevin Kolb was great in college at U.Houston (where I live & saw alot of him, and he is a fine talent), but if he has to play at all this year, well eagles will fight the Gints for last place guaranteed. Cant think of another team who's success is more tied to the QB than Eagles.